A minor US holiday, traditionally on October 12, to honor the explorer Christopher Columbus, who discovered America in 1492. Granted, that's just an oversimplification of what he did, but for purposes of this node, it will suffice.

Sadly, during the 1990s, it became politically incorrect to say anything good about Columbus. This observance of his great accomplishments will probably not last much longer.

Sure, Columbus Day is great. Everyone knows that he discovered America, and it's not like we're observing this holiday in memory of a murderer, a rapist, a man who practically caused the complete wipe out of a race of peoples.

For example, before Columbus's 1493 voyage even reached its destination, Columbus had already granted his lieutenants native women to rape upon arrival. Sex slaves were common "property" for Spaniards living in Haiti. Columbus wrote the following to a friend, in 1500:

A hundred castellanoes are as easily obtained for a woman as for a farm, and it is very general and there are plenty of dealers who go about looking for girls; those from nine to ten are now in demand.

In addition to the sexual cruelty employed by Columbus, the slavery in Haiti was terrible. Enslaved Haitians died quickly, and they were then replaced by Indians from the Bahamas. By 1516, a Spanish historian, Peter Martyr, reported that the Bahamas were "deserted," and that "a ship without a compass, chart, or guide, but only following the trail of dead Indians who had been thrown from the ships could find its way from the Bahamas to Hispanola."

Granted, Columbus did have some positive effects on the United States (however small). But then again, celebrating Columbus Day is like celebrating Cruel Massa Day because slavery helped to boost the economy during the 18th and 19th centuries.

In ending, while I doubt many people will go to work/give up their day off in protest of this holiday, I would suggest that you take this day in remembrance of those who died at the hand of settlers such as Columbus, and take the time to teach your children, your family, your friends, your teachers to see through their blind idealism.

The world is a scary place.

Co*lum"bus Day (?).

The 12th day of October, on which day in 1492 Christopher Columbus discovered America, landing on one of the Bahama Islands (probably the one now commonly called Watling Island), and naming it "San Salvador"; -- called also Discovery Day. This day is made a legal holiday in many States of The United States.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.