The students wore trenchcoats often to school, but they were not members of the Trenchcoat Mafia, which was in fact a clique of kids at the school. They also did not listen to Marilyn Manson, they thought he was a sell out. Many students told the press about this, but the media decided to run with the Manson connection anyways.

Note: This note was obtained from the Associated Press, who obtained it from the Denver Rocky Mountain News. Misspelled words, capitalization, and grammatical errors belong to the original author of this note.

By now it's over. If you are reading this my mission is complete. I have finished revolutionizing the neoeuphoric infliction of my internal terror. Your children who have ridaculed me, who have chosen not to accept me, who have treated me like I am not worth their time are dead. THEY ARE FUCKING DEAD. Surely you will try to blame it on the clothes I wear, the music I listen to, or the way I choose to present myself - but no. Do not hide behind my choices. You need to face the fact that this comes as a result of YOUR CHOICES. Parents and Teachers, YOU FUCKED UP. You have taught these kids to be gears and sheep. To think and act like those who came before them, to not accept what is different. YOU ARE IN THE WRONG. I may have taken their lives and my own - but it was your doing. Teachers, Parents, LET THIS MASSACRE BE ON YOUR SHOULDERS UNTIL THE DAY YOU DIE. Am I insane? Maybe. Is it my fault? No. I did not choose this life, but I have indeed chosen to exit it. You may think the horror ends with the bullet in my head - but you wouldn't be so lucky. All that I can leave you with to decipher what more extensive death is to come is "12Skizto." You have until April 26th. Goodbye. Eric Harris, April 19th.

It is widely believed that 12Skitzo is a reference to an Insane Clown Posse song called 12 off their Riddle Box album, which is about a executed man who comes back from the dead to kill the jury that convicted him. When I saw ICP in Pittsburgh in January of 2000, Violent J had this to say between songs: "We've been getting a lot of bad press lately about Columbine, and how the shooters were supposedly juggalos. They've been asking us for sound bites... quotes of the minute, if you will. Well, I've got this to say... if those two faggots in trenchcoats had been Juggalos, they would have gotten the whole damn school."
The official version of events for the Columbine High shootings of April 20, 1999 is that two gunmen, disaffected teenagers Michael Harris and Dylan Klebold, acting alone and with no assistance, entered the school in the morning, warning a friend to stay away, and after placing various explosive devices around the building, began shooting up the school, killing 12 students and one teacher, and holding others hostage for about 45 minutes, before turning the guns on themselves in an act of mutual suicide. This incident pressed a lot of sensitive buttons in American society, among them:

Interestingly, there are some pesky holes in the official story, and some bizarre incidents that cast some doubt on it. There is some evidence to suggest there were additional shooters and/or conspirators, perhaps even some in high places. Some of the evidence:

• Initial reports claimed that the shootings lasted for several hours (Denver Post, April 21, 1999), and the swat teams and police departments first on the scene reported that they were “way outgunned.” (Associated Press, April 20, 1999). Swat teams are not 'way outgunned' by two people with a total of four rifles.

• The official final report of the incident claimed that there were 95 explosive devices placed throughout the school (Los Angeles Times, May 16, 2000). It seems highly unlikely that two teenagers acting alone could walk into school with 95 explosive devices and several semi-automatic rifles and be left alone long enough to booby trap the entire school. The Jefferson County district attorney is quoted as saying "It is obvious to me that they couldn't have carried them all in at the same time, plus the four weapons" (Denver Post, May 5, 1999).
In fact, here’s a full quote from the April 23, 1999 Denver Post:
"The 20-pound bomb found inside the Columbine High School kitchen suggests the two teenage suspects were aided by others in their plot to blow up the school, police said Thursday. Packed inside a duffle bag with a wired gasoline can - and surrounded with nails and BBs for maximum killing power - the propane barbecue tank-bomb points to a wider conspiracy, police said."

• Initial reports even stated that a "third young man was led away from the school in handcuffs more than four hours after the attack, and student Chris Wisher said: 'He's one of the ones who shot at us'" (Associated Press, April 20, 1999).

• Dylan Klebod’s fatal gunshot wound to the head was on the left side, which is unlikely in the case of a suicide for a right-handed person. Unfortunately, the autopsy records have been sealed.

• An FBI training video from 1997 was filmed in Columbine High School. It shows two gun-toting, trench coat wearing students wandering the halls, and ends with a special effects explosion of the school. The video was produced by the son of the FBI’s lead investigator on the Columbine case, with the help of a friend of his named Brooks Brown. (Associated Press, May 8, 1999)

• Brooks Brown was the student that was supposedly warned by Harris and Klebold to stay away from campus that day as he walked to school. Brown was then on the scene to grant interviews.

• On February 14, 2000, two Columbine students were shot to death in a Subway sandwich shop just a few blocks from the school. The shots came from an automobile which sped away. There was no apparent motive and are no suspects. (CNN: http://www.cnn.com/2000/US/02/14/littleton.shooting.02/)

• A student that witnessed the 1999 massacre was found hanged on May 5, 2000. The death was ruled a suicide, though "Friends were mystified, saying there were no signs of turmoil in the teenager's life." One noted that he had "talked to him the night before, and it didn't seem like anything was wrong." (Los Angeles Times, May 6, 2000)

All of this certainly doesn't prove a 'conspiracy.' Still, there seems to be at least something else to this story than the official version.

The most extreme interpretation would be a conspiracy, involving some elements of law enforcement, including persons affiliated with the FBI, to let the shootings take place, or even to aid them. What would be the point of such a destructive act? Well, a right-wing view might be that this was an attempt to make the public more accepting of gun control. A more left-wing perspective would see an attempt to demonize youth non-conformity. If either or both of these were the goals of the gunmen, whoever they were, then they were wildly successful. Personally, I do not necessarily endorse this interpretation.


info from an essay “Anatomy of a School Shooting,” May 2002, by Dave McGowan. It appears in the book You are Being Lied To.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.