How much cologne should you wear?

Look a little closer at that bottle, buddy. Are you sure you're wearing cologne?

Are you wearing perfume or eau de parfum? Perfume is the strongest-smelling, longest lasting, and most expensive fragrance option. If you are wearing perfume, a very little dab on the throat or wrist will do ya.

Are you wearing eau de toilette? Eau de toilette is less expensive and slightly weaker than perfume. Eau de toilette can be sprayed on the wrists and throat without being offensively strong.

Are you wearing cologne or eau de cologne? These weak scents will not last long on your skin, and will need to be reapplied every four hours. If cologne is worn at the ankle as well as the wrist or throat, the scent will waft up and last a bit longer.

Other considerations to take when wearing fragrance:
Scent lasts longer on people who have dry skin. Oily skins tend to sweat scent off rather quickly.
No scent can be expected to last longer than 6-8 hours.
Scent tends to mix with one's own body chemistry, and on your skin it will not smell as it does in the bottle. Some may smell not-so-nice on your skin.
Good places for applying scent besides the wrists, throat, and ankles are behind the ears and on the backs of the knees. Some people also like to spray scent in their hair.

Modified and moved from its original location at Dem Bones' request.

Co*logne" (?), n. [Originally made in Cologne, the French name of Koln, a city in Germany.]

A perfumed liquid, composed of alcohol and certain aromatic oils, used in the toilet; -- called also cologne water and eau de cologne.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.