Collision detection is a way of determining if two objects have (duh) collided in 3d (or, if you're insane enough to bother, 2d) space. Some 3D libraries don't support this out of the box, while many do. It's used almost solely in game development, though some mathematical applications utilize vector math like this.

For this writeup, camera = player.

Basically, to do collision detection, you need to do a few things. First, trace in the direction the camera is heading. That will give you the plane you'll be testing on. You need two vectors: the normal of the plane in the direction you're going and a vector from the camera to the radius of collision in the direction of the plane. Get the dot product of these vectors:

float DotProduct( Vector v1, Vector v2 )
{
float dot = (v1.x * v2.x) + (v1.y * v2.y) + (v1.z * v2.z);
return dot;
}

If the dot product is greater than zero, a collision has occurred. If the dot product is less than zero, the camera has penetrated the plane. If the dot product is zero, you're safe. That simple, eh? =-)

And by the way, its a safe bet that your game won't end up like Rainbow Six with bodies falling through walls and other crappy effects if you test for collision a few loops before you move the camera. Otherwise... well, ugh. I'm not buying your game.

One last thing, OpenGL 0wnz j00. *ahem* *adjusts his lapel*

Testing for collision between two solids is more difficult. A fast way to do it is to just check if any of the vertices of either solid exists inside the other solid. This works most of the time, but you can get some overlap from edges, i.e. two swords might pass through each other if they are swung together. This can be addressed by creating redundant points.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.