Coast Mountain Bus Company is the name for the transit system in Greater Vancouver, and is an arm of Translink. CMBC comprises:

-CityBus - the bus system, with a little over 160 routes. Most buses are diesel, many use electric trolleys, there a few natural gas buses, and one or two demonstration buses that run on Ballard fuel cells. Most buses are standard size, but some express routes, notably the B-Line rapidbus routes, use extra-long articulated buses, while some low-ridership suburban routes use minibuses. Much of the CityBus fleet is wheelchair accessible, but many older non-accessible buses are still in the system, especially in the suburbs, and none of the trolley bus routes are accessible. Translink's goal is be 100% accessible by 2010.

-HandiDart - a (contracted out) system of lift-equipped vans that supplement the bus system for people in wheelchairs and/or with limited mobility who cannot take the bus or who live in an area with no accessible routes. Currently the Handidart system is overtaxed and unable to keep up with demand.

-SkyTrain - an Advanced Light Rail System, like a subway but for the most part above ground, that connects Surrey with downtown Vancouver by way of New Westminster and Burnaby. A second route, running through burnaby and vancouver along the broadway-lougheed corridor is currently under construction. Skytrain uses a super-neat system involving magnets and linear induction motors and other buck rogers gadgets. Cars have no drivers but are controlled from a central computer, though they can be controlled from a panel in the front car in the event of a breakdown.

-SeaBus - two passenger ferries that connect downtown Vancouver and North Vancouver. Very popular with commuters who want to avoid the massive traffic jams on the bridges between North Van and downtown. SeaBuses and wide and flat, which makes them very stable and able to run in storms that keep most boats their size off the water - they are one of the most reliable parts of the transit system.

-West Coast Express - a passenger train running from Mission to downtown Vancouver during limited hours in the morning and in the late afternoon for commuters.

The transit system is divided in to three fare zones: Zone 1 -Vancouver, Zone 2 - Burnaby, New Westminster, Richmond, North Vancouver, West Vancouver and Horseshoe Bay, and Zone 3 - all other areas, including Surrey, Langley, Lions Bay, Port Coquitlam, Coquitlam, Port Moody, Tsawwassen, Ladner, White Rock, and Maple Ridge. On weekdays during peak hours (start of service to 6:30pm), fares are priced according to how many zones you wish to travel across. On weekends, holidays, and weekday nights, the one-zone fare applies for travel across all zones.

Current (as of June 30, 2000) fare prices are:

Adults:
1 zone - $1.75
2 zones - $2.50
3 zones - $3.50.

Concession (seniors, children, and high school students with a student card):
1 zone: $1.25
2 zones: $1.75
3 zones: $2.50.

Daypasses and Books of tickets can be purchased at a modest discount, and monthly farecards offer savings for regular commuters and cost $63 for one zone, $87 for two zones, $120 for three zones, and $40 for a concession pass which is good for all zones. University and college students can purchase a FastTrax sticker for $2 a year from their student society which allows them to pay one-zone fares to travel across all zones. HandiDart fares cost the same as regular fares. The West Coast Express uses a slightly different system, with one-way fares ranging from $4 - $8. Finally, some eligible people (the disabled, welfare recipients, some others) can buy a one-year pass for about $30.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.