The least serious class of drugs, in Britain's three-tier system of classifying drugs in law. Class C has so far been reserved for drugs like antidepressants and steroids, but Home Secretary David Blunkett announced on October 23, 2001 that he would like to see cannabis moved down to Class C. Class C drugs are illegal without prescription, but their possession is not an arrestable offence; if you are caught with a Class C the police will give you a verbal warning, a police caution or possibly a court summons, but you will not be taken into custody immediately. In principle possession of a Class C carries a maximum sentence of up to two years in jail - but most offences will result in a fine, if that.

Here is a list of the Class C drugs, as originally listed in the Misuse of Drugs Act 1971 (to which various tranquilizer and steroid type drugs have since been added, but I haven't been able to find a complete list):

  1. Any stereoisomeric form of a substance for the time being specified in paragraph 1 of this Part of this Schedule.
  2. Any salt of a substance for the time being specified in paragraph 1 or 2 of this Part of this Schedule.
  3. Any preparation or other product containing a substance or product for the time being specified in any of paragraphs 1 to 3 of this Part of this Schedule, not being a preparation falling within paragraph 6 of Part I of this Schedule.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.