BR Class 04 (Drewry 0-6-0 DM)

This diesel-mechanical shunter was very similar to the Class 03 but built by private industry instead of British Railways' own workshops. The first locomotives were built by Drewry with later examples built by Robert Stephenson & Hawthorne. Mechanically, they were almost identical to the Class 03, with the same Gardner engine and the same overall layout, albeit with an epicyclic gearbox, unlike the 03. They had a straight bonnet (US: hood) from the front to the rear-mounted cab, unlike the O3's that bulged higher towards the rear, and the cab's rounded roof met the sides at an angle instead of with a curve as in the 03's, with a lip all the way round.

They were withdrawn from service earlier than the Class 03, being taken out of service between 1968-1970, though a large number were sold to private industry. With the reduction in the need for shunters, it was decided to standardise on the Class 03 as a light diesel-mechanical shunter and the Class 08 and 09 as larger, diesel-electric shunters.

Four of these locomotives were fitted with side skirting and cowcatchers for use on the Wisbech and Upwell Tramway (British law requires locomotives running on unfenced street trackage to be so protected for the protection of pedestrians). One of these modified Class 04 locomotives was the basis for Mavis in the Thomas the Tank Engine books.


Specifications:

    TOPS Numbering:  None
    1957 Numbering:  D2200-D2341
          Built by:  Drewry and Robert Stephenson & Hawthorne
        Introduced:  1958-1962
 Wheel Arrangement:  0-6-0 (C)
            Length:  26 feet (7.9m)
            Weight:  31 tonnes (metric tons)
    Maximum  Speed:  28.5mph (45.9 km/h)
            Engine:  Gardner 8L3
     Engine Output:  204hp (152 kW)
      Transmission:  Mechanical
        Brake Type:  Vacuum or dual (air and vacuum)
       Brake Force:  13 tons
      Heating Type:  None Fitted

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.