A small city/town thing in Southern California, with about 37,000 people (according to my history teacher). Theres not much exciting here, besides the claremont colleges, and the villiage. Along with a theological school, which i'm not sure if they count in the ring of claremont colleges or not. The other colleges include HMC, Scripps (womens college), Claremont McKenna, and Pomona College. Plus the ever bureaucratic high school, CHS. (where i'm sitting right now, acually)

There is not much to do around here, in claremont. The village is cool to hang out in, lotsa little family owned shops, about 4 Banks, Rhino records, and a starbucks. However to do anything else, you have to goto other cities, and normally counties (not a big thing though, i could walk to the county line from here :) I even have to goto the another city just to see my girlfriend

A city about 30 miles East of downtown Los Angeles in California. Its nearby neighbors are Montclair (oddly enough), Pomona, Upland, and La Verne.

Basic information:
POPULATION: 33,998 (2000 census)
SIZE: 14.14 square miles
FOUNDED: April 1887
INCORPORATED: October 3, 1907
- from the Claremont City Website, http://www.ci.claremont.ca.us/

Summary:
Considering how many colleges are found in Claremont, you would expect it to be a decent sort of "college town". Instead, it's more like a retirement community. Few of the "little family owned shops" are interested in selling to a student budget.

Colleges:
The Claremont Colleges, found here, are the undergraduate Harvey Mudd (HMC), Pomona College, Scripps, Pitzer, and Claremont McKenna (CMC). Claremont Graduate University (CGU) and the Keck Graduate Institute (KGI), a recently-established (and controversial) biotechnology institute, make up the graduate options. The non-affiliated Claremont School of Theology is to the north.

Random Fact: Claremont was also the endpoint of the 2,300-Mile American Solar Challenge car race in 2001.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.