Clancy Aviation initially operated from the home of its founder, Andy Clancy. Just last year the company signed a contract with Global Hobby Distributors to mass produce the products after about two decades as a company run from the founders home.

The company developed a very popular model airplane kit in the 70's, called the Lazy Bee. Built from precut balsa parts, the planes are both simple and strong once assembled with a little CA (Cryoacetate) glue and a lot of patience. The design also was produced by a company of greater dimensions known as Cox, makers of modern cable as it so happens. Once built, the planes have a simple beauty, and a big potential for fun. They're meant for radio controlled flight assisted by a powerplant. Usually modelers decide on glow powered engines; occasionally they'll use the newer technology; electric motors with gears to spin the prop faster than the small motor.

The company expanded in the 90s. Its brilliant founder designing kits that still retain the originals major characteristics while looking like totally different aircraft. The planes qualify for R/C aircraft meets in the sport flyer and backyard flyer categories. I've built one, and except for a lack of servo mounting brackets (mine spin against the window causing an unsightly bulge), the kit is sound. I especially like the Stagger Bee's wing configuration,. where the plane just cant manage to stall without the other wing finding the required lift. It runs on a .15 OS engine with a 4 channel futaba radio. I covered it in the stock plastic-like material, and then spray painted it and clear coated the finished aircraft. Unfortunately, as my sailplane building experience revealed, it takes a teacher and a lot of work before you can pilot one of these airplanes reliably. That is why R/C flight is one of the hobbies where clubs are a prerequisite.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.