Churg-Strauss syndrome is an autoimmune disorder; which is also known as Allergic Granulomatosis. The syndrome is characterized by accumulated antibodies and the inflammation of blood vessels. Chrug-Strauss syndrome also produces its own white blood cells which form in abnormal clusters.

Diagnosis is rather hard because in the early stages it mimics the symptoms of the common flu. Symptoms linked, to Allergic Granulomatosis, are: fever, weight loss, and infiltrations of lung tissue. Often, several years before the development of the syndrome a patient can experience an allergic reaction, asthma, or pulmonary disease. However, Chrug-Strauss tends to impair kidneys, and/or other organs, and possibly damaging nerves in infected areas. If the syndrome is diagnosed and treated quickly it could increase a patient's chances of resuming a normal life. The cause of Chug-Strauss syndrome is unknown; but it can affect both males and females ranging in age from 15 to 70.

Treatment involves the use of corticosteroids, such as Prednisone. Many times the toxic side affects of the drugs are too much for a patient to handle. So an alternative is to stay away from certain allergens. The allergens are primarily foods and can be determined by a blood test. Enzyme potentiated desensitization is also a choice that can result in a long term remission.


Sources
http://www.aarda.org/page53.html
http://www.medical-library.net/sites/churg-strauss_syndrome.html

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.