Chronocide - noun - The act of killing time.

This is one of the few cases where an entire genre of murders has gone unpunished. That's right -- millions of people kill time every day, and yet none of them have ever been arrested for it. What did the time ever do to them? In and of itself, the time was obviously an innocent bystander, drawn into this plane of existance by the natural forces of the universe, but other than inadvertently killing every last one of us and everything in the universe, in all eventuality, what did time ever do wrong?

Cripple Mr Onion -- Chronocide

Written by Cripple Mr Onion
Produced by Cripple Mr Onion
Released in 2001
Running Length of 41 minutes, 38 seconds.


Introduction

This EP is a collection of the songs that CMO have developed and perfected before performing thoroughly in live performances in their hometown of Christchurch, New Zealand. The songs have little to do with each other and so the whole package may not grab your attention as a whole but there are sure to be one or two songs you love on here.

Another album was hoped to be released in early 2004 but all kinds of issues have stopped that from occurring. I eagerly await the day when they get sorted out, release another album and head out on tour.

Track Listing:

  1. Six Days of Silence
  2. AI
  3. The City
  4. Typical
  5. Chronocide
  6. Legion
  7. [prologue]
  8. Sleep of the Dead
  9. Gibbering Rex Gets Carpet Burn

For reference, Cripple Mr Onion are:

Sleeve Art
The cover of Chronocide is a bleak green that reminds me of over-boiled cabbage, faded and uninteresting. When the cover is unfolded it is a continuous narrative of a New Zealand currency coin bouncing along what appears to be a gutter. Maybe it's a tenuous link to the song 'The City'? Whatever the reason, it's not up to the calibre of the music within.

Song Meanings
Note: If you would like to contribute your feelings toward any of these songs, or you think I may be wrong, /msg me and I'll add it.

  1. Six Days of Silence
    This opening song really caught my attention as it seems quite similar to Tool, slowly building into a heavy crescendo by the end. It seems to be a song of mourning or grief, but I'm not sure beyond that. Born into disease / this house of sorrow / is always out of sync / six days of silence.
  2. AI
    Similar to the Spielburg movie with the same name. It quite explicitly refers to a child unlike the rest, who is struggling to express himself. This song includes typical 'voice software' vocals (I don't know how they do it yet) and music that sounds remarkably like running hardware. The plight of the AI actually touches the listener. Inside it's tiny, fractured mind / a stuttering thought climbs. / I'm Alive! / Though I'm not the same as you. / I'm not breathing but I'm being!
  3. The City
    A day in the life of a homeless person. This is one of the more interesting songs on the album, it starts soft but gets very rough. The meths tastes good today. / I don't feel the shame / as the dignity fades. / Embittered and dead to all I see.
  4. Typical
    An attack on people who have 'the best intentions' but fail to achieve anything. Andy gets quite angry on this song. You thought you'd better play it safe, / you know you've just yourself to blame. / so typical of you.
  5. Chronocide
    An ode to mindless first person shooter games. Though the lyrics sound like a serial killer or soldier, the title, which would mean 'killing time,' shows it is not as serious as all that. Paranoia infects the song and a Doom2 death sample touches it off nicely. One of the heavier songs on the album. Predictable and slow / one moments rest / before I live to die again.
  6. Legion
    A melancholy song that rises and falls in waves until you reach the end. It's easier to breathe the air / never see her face again. / The just awaken with the damned.
  7. [prologue]
    A short atmospheric instrumental that opens the next song, but fits before many of the songs on the album. When you visit their website, this is the tune that plays in the background.
  8. Sleep of the Dead
    Very atmospheric, continuing from the previous track. Basically about the realisation that reality is an illusion. Very good. When I awoke / the world had passed away / it was all true. / How long was I gone?
  9. Gibbering Rex Gets Carpet Burn
    Literally, from a fly to a spider. I don't know if there's meant to be a deeper metaphorical meaning but the very heavy music suggests its all cathartic anyway. This song has the most abrasive vocals on the album. Dragging my carcess in / and feeding from my sin / puncturing my skin / you drink me hollow

RECOMMENDED TRACKS:

  1. Six Days of Silence
  2. Sleep of the Dead
  3. The City

This is a brilliant album from a talented but lesser known bunch tucked away in the South Island of New Zealand. The music might not be for everyone (They can get very heavy, particularly in songs like Gibbering Rex Gets Carpet Burn) but for anyone interested in even slightly heavy music, give it a go. I'm sure you'll find something to appreciate.


Sources:
www.nzmusic.com
www.cripple.co.nz

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.