This is one of my favorite foods. The recipe has been passed between family and friends, and has finally ended up on E2!
- 1 small can mild SALSA VERDE(6 or 8 ounces)
- 1 can (10 ounces) CONDENSED cream of chicken OR cream of mushroom soup (do NOT dilute / do NOT add water or milk)
- 1 teaspoon CUMIN
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 1 small ONION finely chopped (I have used one clove of diced garlic in place of onion)
- 3 cups cooked, SHREDDED CHICKEN (I normally boil it)
- 2 cups SHREDDED CHEESE (about 1 package)
- 8 -12 CORN TORTILLAS ripped into bite size pieces
Combine first five ingredients in a large bowl then add in chicken, cheese and tortilla pieces. (In the original recipe you layered the tortilla pieces and the chicken/cheese mixture like a lasagne, you can do that if you want, but mixing it all together is easier and tastes just as good.) Spray or coat a 8x8" baking pan with non-stick cooking spray then pour mixture into and top with additional cheese.
Bake at 350 degrees until heated through and cheese on top is melted and slightly brown (approximately 30 minutes)
If you like spicey foods, you can use medium, or hot salsa verde. I have also made a vegetarian version of this dish where I just left out the chicken and it was still pretty good. Prep time for Chicken Tortilla Bake is about an hour. This makes excellent leftovers.