From: The Thorough Good Cook

Poultry: 25. Chicken Puddings a la Richelieu

These puddings are the same thing as a farce a quenelles, made of either veal, fowl, rabbits, whitings, carp, etc. Sweat some white onions that are cut into small dice; when well done, drain them in a hair-sieve, in order that there may not be the least particle of butter; work the farce with a wooden spoon before you put them in, to prevent them from breaking, for it is requisite that they should remain entire. Let this farce stand to cool. When it is quite cold, roll it into the shape of puddings of the length of the dish, and poach them in the following manner: Rub with butter a stew-pan which is large enough to contain the puddings with ease; lay them over the butter; pour some boiling water with a little salt into the stew-pan and let them boil gently, till you see they are properly swelled. then drain, and let them cool. When cold, mould them of an equal size, dip them into yolks of eggs well beaten, with a little salt, and then slightly into crumbs of bread; fry them on a clear fire until they are of a fine colour ; drain them with a clean towel; dish them, and pour over them an Italian sauce.

Some people make use of the Sauce Hatelets; in this case it must be poured hot over the puddings. When they are cold and the sauce begins to cool, put an equal quantity on each square with your knife, taking care that they are made into regular squares. Dip them into crumbs of bread. Then prepare an omelette, by which is meant yolks and whites of eggs, beaten up with a little salt. The puddings are to be dipped only once into this preparation; give them a good color by frying in very hot dripping. You may serve them sometimes with crumbs of bread, and sometimes white, without the crumbs, just at the instant they are poached.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.