BE WARNED!! This is a half-assed student's recipe. I kind of borrowed from cookbooks and improvised the rest.


Chicken Parmigiana

1. Get some chicken. I use chicken breasts usually, because it's easy to tell when they're done (just cut them in half and look). Wash the chicken off. Pat dry with paper towel. DO NOT substitute Kleenex in this step. It's just a bad idea.

2. Mix up an egg and a little water.

3. Mix breadcrumbs and parmesan cheese in a ratio of about 2:1. I didn't have breadcrumbs - I used something my mother taught me and used crackers instead. You just have to crush them up really well. I started off using a fork and a bowl, but it was really slow so I just put the crackers in a Ziploc bag and pounded them with the hammer. This actually works better than a meat tenderizer - that thing tends to put holes in your Ziplocs.

3a. If you feel adventurous, put spices in the cracker/cheese mix. I use garlic, oregano, and sweet basil. If you just want it to look fancy, use parsley. Looks the same, no risk of it being too spicy (or tasting weird).

4. Dip the chicken in the egg and then the cracker/cheese mix. Fry it around medium-low to medium in a bit of oil.

5. When it's cooked all the way through, add sauce. If you're adventurous, you could make your own. I'm adventurous, but lazy. I used Prego. Still tasted damn good. Add lots - you'll want the extra on your pasta.

6. Make some pasta. We have the rotini stuff right now, 'cause it looks neat.

7. When the pasta's about three or four minutes from being done, put some sliced up mozzarella cheese on top of the chicken.

I hope it turns out as well for anyone who cares to try as well as it did for me. I love it when I fluke out when I cook.

My favorite dish to cook by far, awesome tasting and easily done. Here's how to impress friends, family, loved-ones, and enjoy a self-cooked yummy dinner that takes less than half an hour from start to finish:
First, go out and get yourself a package (or two) of some nice, thin-sliced (or not if you really know how to slice them correctly) chicken cutlets. I prefer buying meat from a butcher as the end product is always more flavorful, but whatever you can get your hands on depending on your timeframe is fine. Below is a list of some other stuff you may have at home, or should pick before starting:

Tomato Sauce (your preference, I make my own)
Bread Crumbs (flavored or not, also your call)
Large Eggs (at least 2 per package of chicken)
Milk (anything other than skim/fat-free is fine)
Vegetable or Corn Oil (you don't need much really)
Mozzarella Cheese (I like to get it sliced thin, but it's up to you)
Salt
Pepper (black)

OK, now we have our ingredients, let's do this....
First, let's get a bowl large enough to hold our cutlets in, and crack a couple eggs in the bowl. Next lets add a couple tablespoons of milk to the bowl of eggs, some salt and pepper, and beat until consistent (less than a minute).
Good job! Next let's throw our cutlets in there and let them sit for a while in the egg. Meanwhile grab a shallow dish (or bowl) and add some breadcrumbs. Just so we're clear , the object here is to eventually coat the chicken with the breadcrumbs, and finally fry them quickly.
Let's take a cutlet, let the excess egg drip off of it and (figure this out yourself) coat it with the breadcrumbs (in the bowl/dish you chose). Have a plate handy to temporarily store these cutlets. Are you done with that yet?!

Ok, now here's the clincher: Take a frying pan and add a little bit of oil (enough to make about 1/4 inch puddle) to the pan. Let's heat the pan up on medium, and wait a minute or so until it gets nice and hot.
Once the pan is hot, let's brown the sides of the cutlets, and drain them on paper towel. the *trick* here is to not *overcook* the cutlets, just letting them get brown and crispy on the outside. While your doing this throw on your oven to about 350/375 . Your going to want to let the cutlets drain for a bit on both sides (as your not trying to consume all that oil).
Ok, now we have our cultlets drained and fried, our oven is hot, so we will finalize the process. On a shallow baking pan or Pyrex dish, let's place our cutlets, leaving a little room between them. Throw the dish in the oven, and let them cook for about 10 minutes @ 350/375. This will ensure our meat is cooked, but not overdone. Meanwhile, why not start boiling some water to make some pasta as a side-dish (you can boil water, can't you?).
Next we're going to open the oven, evenly put some sauce on the cutlets, and let them cook for another minute or two (to let the sauce heat up on em). Finally let's open the oven one more time (we're about 12-15 minutes into this), and spread the mozzarella over the cutlets. Close the oven back up (with the cutlets inside, of course), and let them cook for another couple minutes, or until the cheese is nice and melted. Remove the dish from the oven, and serve on a plate with some pasta, and maybe a little garlic bread and maybe some home-made sauce.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.