Allergy Safe Recipes

This will produce a thinner "eggy" textured pancake much like a crepe.

In making these, you need to move deliberately and quickly. The first few you make may be a little weird, until you get the hang of it.

1 cup chickpea flour (or garbanzo bean flour), firmly packed
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon turmeric (optional)
1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
about 1/4 cup vegetable oil

Sift the chickpea flour into a bowl. Slowly add 1 cup of water , two tablespoons or so at a time. Stir well after each addition of water, breaking up the lumps of flour. Once this is smooth, add another 1/2 cup of water to the mixture, and all of the spices. Stir to mix.

Measure out the oil and place in a small cup near where you will be cooking; place a pastry brush and a teaspoon. Have a plate for the finished pancakes ready. Each pancake takes between 5 and 8 minutes to cook. If you have two suitable skillets that will make the process much faster.

Brush the skillet with approximately 1 teaspoon of oil. Let the skillet heat on a medium low setting until it is hot. Stir the batter and remove approx. 1/2 cup (or whatever your desired measure turns out to be). Pour this into the skillet. Turn and tilt the skillet to spread the batter to the very edges of the pan (If you are making a smaller pancake, you can let it move as far as needed to get a thin cake.) Keep doing this until the batter is evenly distributed and has set. Dribble approximately 1 teaspoon of oil around t he edges of the pancake and another teaspoon on top. (Use less if you are making a smaller pancake.) Cover the skillet and let cook for 5 to 8 minutes; it should be slightly crisp at the edges and bottom. Carefully ease a plastic spatula under the pancake, lift it and place on a plate.

These are best eaten immediately, but you can cover the plate of pancakes and do the remaining pancakes in order to serve them all at once.

Serve with any chutney, dipping sauce, or condiment that strikes you.

Variation: While pancake is cooking place a small amount of chopped green onion on top.


Copyright 1997-1998, Eileen Kupstas Soo. Use and copying of this information are permitted as long as (1) no fees or compensation are charged for use, copies or access to this information, and (2) this copyright notice is included intact. -- CST Approved.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.