Cheetham, also known as Cheetham Hill is a suburb of Manchester in the UK.

Manchester can basically be split into two parts. South Manchester, areas like Rusholme, Whalley Range, Hulme or Moss Side tends to be slightly poorer, and have a lot fewer 'native' Mancunians, instead having large populations from the West Indies, Ireland and the Indian subcontinent, as well as having many students.

North Manchester in general is more insular. While areas like Cheetham, Blackley, Crumpsall and Harpurhey (and nearby Bury and Rochdale) do have large minority populations, there is far more tension between them and far less ready mingling between groups. The British National Party (a Nazi extremist group) has unfortunately got a large level of support in North Manchester, which could never happen in South Manchester.

Cheetham itself is one of the more run-down areas of the city, with a small shopping centre containing a newsagents, a Job Centre, a Post Office, two cafes, a few fried chicken places and entirely more opticians and charity shops than one would consider reasonable.

The northern part of Cheetham is largely an Orthodox Jewish area, the largest in Manchester, while the southern part is largely moslem.

The southern part of Cheetham (when Bury Old Road becomes Cheetham Hill Road) is mostly taken up with large wholesalers, selling carpets and electrical goods, as is neighbouring Strangeways.

Main bus routes from Cheetham - the 88 and 89 to the Arndale Centre, and the 51 and 52 to Old Trafford and Salford.

Entertainment and activities in Cheetham - none.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.