American cartoonist (1922-2000). Creator of the "Peanuts" comic strip. Nicknamed "Sparky". Enjoyed incredible success with characters like Charlie Brown, Snoopy, Linus Van Pelt and his crabby sister Lucy, Peppermint Patty, and more.

He based Charlie Brown on himself, Snoopy on his favorite childhood dog, and the little red-haired girl on a girl who turned down his marriage proposal before he started the comic strip.

He saw himself -- even after years of success and millions of dollars, after untold TV specials, after getting NASA spacecraft named after his characters, after winning millions -- maybe billions -- of fans worldwide -- as a bit of a loser.

Too many people, some of them clueless morons who wouldn't know humor if it bit 'em on the ass, claim that Schulz' strip was never funny and certainly not as funny as "Dilbert" or "Calvin and Hobbes" or whatever the hot strip of the day is. What these people do not realize is that without Schulz, most papers would not include comics pages and most cartoonists would not have become cartoonists in the first place -- Schulz has inspired almost every cartoonist drawing today, including Scott Adams, Matt Groening, Jim Davis, Mort Walker, Gary Trudeau, Bill Watterson, and many, many more.

Sparky Schulz died yesterday, February 12, 2000, the day before his final comic strip appeared in newspapers.

Once upon a time, when I was just a little kid, I sent Charles Schulz a fan letter with a little suggestion for a cute story idea. He sent me a nice signed drawing and a short note, and years later, I saw a hint of my suggestion in one of his cartoons. To this day, the idea -- that I might have contributed in a very, very tiny way to the success of "Peanuts" -- fills me with the closest thing I can get to pride.

I'm getting teary-eyed over a cartoonist. If you think that's stupid, go to hell.
Charles Schulz told his biographer that he would draw Peanuts until he died. When I first heard about his retirement, I thought, "How can he retire?"

Then, when he died on the day of his last strip, I realized what his true intentions were...

God bless you, Chuck, you ol' blockhead, you.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.