Singer-songwriter, 1973-

Chantal Kreviazuk was born on May 18, 1973 in Winnipeg, Manitoba. Her interest in music was evident from an early age; she was able to play the piano at the age of three and it was eventually discovered that she had perfect pitch. Though they had originally planned to wait until she was older before enrolling her in music lessons, her parents realized that her talent should not have to go to waste and she began classical training.

Kreviazuk continued to pursue music throughout her childhood and teenage years, often writing and singing commercial jingles for her father's pool company as well as for other companies.

She realized that she wanted to spend her life making music after being involved in a motorcycle accident in Italy.

"The accident was a wake-up call. I realized that music was something I could give rather than something I could use."
- Chantal Krevizauk

Under These Rocks and Stones
After returning to Canada, Kreviazuk signed a record deal with Sony Music Canada. Her first album, 'Under These Rocks and Stones', was released in 1997. One of its most well-received singles, Surrounded, was her response to the suicide of her boyfriend, proving that her songs were deeply personal and heartfelt. She also recorded a cover version of John Denver's Leaving on a Jet Plane which appeared on the Armageddon soundtrack, which gained her more recognition in the United States and in Europe.

Colour, Moving and Still
Kreviazuk's second album, 'Colour, Moving and Still', was released in 1999. Like its predecessor, it was also well-received in Canada, the U.S. and parts of Europe. Kreviazuk also won a Juno Award for the album.

What if it All Means Something?
Kreviazuk released her third album, 'What if it All Means Something' in 2003. She is currently promoting it through touring.

Other endeavours
Kreviazuk married Raine Maida (of Our Lady Peace) in late 1999. The couple embarked on a trip to Iraq on behalf of War Child and co-starred together in the 2001 film Century Hotel. They also wrote and recorded a song for the film's soundtrack. Kreviazuk also appeared in a Toronto production of The Vagina Monologues, and performed the theme songs for the television series Providence. She recently announced that she is expecting the couple's first child in January.

Kreviazuk continues to do advocacy work with War Child and she and Maida plan to release a full-length album together.

February 5, 2004 - Kreviazuk gave birth to Rowan Maida in January.


Adapted from http://www.chantalkreviazuk.com, http://www.chartattack.com, and http://www.absolutedivas.com/chantal/biography.shtml

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.