Cha Cha is the first human-based search engine. Its free service allows you to text or call in a question that gets answered by a guide. For American residents, text the number 242 242 or call 1-800-2CHACHA, and ask any question in the world. An answer will usually get to you within 3-8 minutes, and if your question was factually answerable, it will be pretty accurately answered.

Cha is Chinese for search. Cha Cha Cha is a dance. So the creators think of themselves as fast-moving searchers.

Ask away

Q: Is a yeast infection a sexually transmitted disease?

A: No. A yeast infection is not a sexually transmitted disease (STD) although its symptoms can mimic some STD's. http://chacha.com/u/uca05dl9

From this particular question and answer you can see its short and sweet, with a link at the end of the text to provide more information.

Which movie should I go see?

Just imagine being a contestant on Who wants to be a millionaire? and phoning your friend Cha Cha. Yeah, this is going to revolutionize the internet into texting. Not all phones have the internet, and even if access is applicable, it might cost too much to use. I was about to go see a movie last night, and while waiting in line I realized I didn't know what movie I wanted to see. So I figured, I'll text Cha Cha, and ask which of the following three movies was highest rated: The X-Files: I Want to Believe, Hancock, and The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor. It turns out Hancock was the highest rated with 36% critic approval rating, just 3% ahead of the X-Files, and a good chunk of change ahead of the poorly rated Mummy. That information helped me choose a movie, while standing in line.

It's not just factuals, so you e2 readers might actually enjoy this service too. For instance, if you asked a flamboyant question about whether or not your friend Bob is a time Nazi, they might reply with a humorous answer.

Boring history

Cha Cha was launched on August 11, 2007 and later publicly released in January of 2008 at the Sundance Film Festival in Park City, Utah. There are about 10,000 guides currently employed, getting paid between 15 and 20 cents per answer. In July of 2008 just over 400,000 unique users asked Cha Cha a question. The corporation is based out of Carmel, Indiana, USA.

Cha Cha initially was a chat session, which ultimately failed due to pranksters. "Despite its glaring issues, ChaCha has managed to ring up $16 million in funding, which is probably why it has survived this long. And to the company’s credit, it has amassed a following of loyal “guides” - the people who do the heavy lifting and find the search results for visitors to ChaCha." (TC)

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.