(Tolkien's Arda; Sindarin: "silver queen")

Celebrían, the daughter of Celeborn and Galadriel of Lothlórien, was born in Ost-en-Edhil (Eregion) sometime before 1091 Second Age.(1) (Actually, The History of Galadriel and Celeborn(2) mentions her as early as 1350 S.A., but Tolkien considerably emended this manuscript, so this date may have been subject to change as Tolkien's mythos evolved.)

After Sauron's invasion of Eregion in 1697 S.A., Galdriel, Celebrían and their kin, fled from Ost-en-Edhil through the mines of Moria, eventually reaching Lothlórien (then called Q. Laurelindórenan). It is uncertain as to whether or not Celebrían was present at the Founding of Rivendell, ca. 1700 Second Age, but as her parents were, we can most likely conjecture that she was.

Sojourning with the Nandor in Lórien for many a year, Celebrían and her parents eventually travelled to Rivendell (Imladris). Half-Noldor, half-Sindar, it was there that she wed Elrond, himself half-Elven (peredhel), in 109 Third Age. Together they begat three children, Arwen "Undómiel" Evenstar in 241 T.A., preceded by the twins Elladan and Elrohir in 130 T.A.

Meanwhile (though this spans 2,000 years!), Galdriel and Celeborn had returned to Lórien and set about rejuvenating the Wood Realm after the death of their king Amdir, and ruled the silvan Nandor-folk there.

In the year 2509 Third Age, whilst travelling between Rivendell to Lothlórien, her company was beset by a host of Orcs on the pass of Caradhras in the Misty Mountains. They captured and tormented her, but she was rescued by Elrond and her sons. However, though the poison wound she sustained was healed by Elrond, "after fear and torment" (3) Celebrían lost interest in the world, departing over the sea from the Grey Havens to Aman in 2510.

Tolkien has said that "after the destruction of the Ruling Ring the Three Rings of the Eldar lost their virtue. Then Elrond prepared at last to depart from Middle-earth and follow Celebrían." (4). Thus it passed that after 500 long years, at the Haven of Alqualondë in Tol Eressëa, Elrond and Celebrían were finally reunited, sometime after 3021 Third Age (the Ringbearers sailing on September 29, 3021 TA). However, Elrond was then "sundered" forever from his beloved daughter, Arwen and his sons.(5)

Björn Fromén has composed an evocative poem, Celebrían's Farewell to Elrond, Valinórenna; this is available at http://www.forodrim.org/daeron/md_vali.html


Notes:

  1. First appearing in the Annals at that date.
  2. UT III:4
  3. PM: 235-236
  4. PM:243
  5. Tyler, p. 195

Sources:

  • The Encylopedia of Arda, at http://www.glyphweb.com/arda/c/celebrian.html
  • Fromén, Björn, Valinórenna, at http://www.forodrim.org/daeron/md_vali.html
  • ithron's w/u, above
  • Tolkien, Christopher (ed.), The Peoples of Middle Earth ("PM")
  • Tolkien, J.R.R., Unfinished Tales;1982 Unwin/Hyman ed. ("UT")
  • Tyler, J.E.A., The Complete Tolkien Companion; Pan Books, 2002 (ISBN 0-330-41165-9)

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.