The early years

Carl Frederick Kendall Palmer was born on March 20, 1959 in Birmingham, England. He had many influences from an early age within his family - his mother and father were all musical performers, as were his grandmother and grandfather. Early external influences were Buddy Rich and Gene Krupa.

Palmer showed an interest in classical music early on, but it was a drum kit that he would eventually be given on his eleventh birthday. After only one year of playing the drums, Palmer joined his father's dance band.

Carl Palmer timeline

  • 1959 - Palmer born.
  • 1973 - Palmer formed The Mecca Dance Band, which earnt him twenty-three pounds a month.
  • 1974 - Joined the King Bees.
  • 1975 - Joined Chris Farlowe and the Thunderbirds, who helped Palmer develop the fast-paced style for which he is famous today.
  • 1967 - Joined The Crazy World of Arthur Brown. Toured with them for eighteen months.
  • 1969 -Released his first album with new band, Atomic Rooster.
  • 1970 -Palmer joined with Greg Lake and Keith Emerson to form Emerson, Lake and Palmer. The group went on to make rock history.
  • 1979 - The group disbanded. Palmer formed a band known as PM with a group of American musicians. The group released one album then split soon after.
  • 1981 - Palmer joined Steve Howe and Geoff Downes to form Asia. They were very successful and toured up until 1983.
  • 1983 - Palmer joined Keith Emerson and Robert Berry to form 3, who released one album.
  • 1989 - Asia disbanded.
  • 1990-91 - Palmer returned to the new line-up of Asia.
  • 1992 - Black Moon, the product of an ELP reunion, was released.
  • 1994 - Released The Hot Seat with the new ELP line-up.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.