Tired of buying carbonated beverages from the store? Want to go on an adventure into the fine art of beverage creation? Are you curious as to what carbonated milk tastes like? Tired of the oppressive beverage monopoly that is Coca-Cola/Pepsi? Then this, my friend, is for you!

IMPORTANT SAFETY INFORMATION! Use only containers which will be able to withstand contents under high pressures! A 2-liter soda bottle is not strong enough!

Materials:

Directions:

  1. Find a suitable location; it is possible you will spill some carbonated beverage when you open the container, this makes doing this outside a good idea.
  2. Select the beverage you wish to carbonate. If your beverage has pulp (see Orange Juice) make sure to strain the pulp. Pulp creates nucleating points for the CO2, basically, it will stop the CO2 from dissolving in the beverage.
  3. Pour the beverage you wish to carbonate in your container, leaving room for the dry ice.
  4. Place 1-2 pounds of dry ice in the container for every gallon of beverage; a hammer works nicely for breaking dry ice into chunks.
  5. Immediately put the lid on your container, creating an airtight seal.
  6. Wait for the dry ice to entirely sublimates (for the uninitiated: evaporates). This is when a clear container is nice, or at least a viewing window. If you don't have either, make sure to wait a while. It takes 20-30 minutes to carbonate 1 liter of beverage.
  7. Open container, taking care not to spray it all over your Egyptian Cotton shirt, and enjoy!

Note: I'm not responsible if you ruin your Egyptian Cotton shirt opening your newly carbonated beverage.

I've done this with my friends once before. In my experience, carbonated grape juice tastes pretty much like grape soda. Carbonated apple juice is very tasty. Carbonated orange juice (pulp free) was the best.

I would recommend experimentation with varying amounts of dry ice. Using rather copious amounts, I have been successful in creating carbonated water which has much more carbonation than store-bought carbonated water.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.