A comic book super-hero created by Joe Simon and Jack Kirby and published by Marvel Comics. Captain America first appeared in Captain America Comics #1 in 1941.

Steve Rogers was the textbook 98-pound weakling when World War II began. Even though Rogers volunteered for duty, he was refused due to his poor physical condition. Rogers was offered a chance to serve his country in a different way by being the subject of an experimental super-soldier formula developed by Emil Erskine. Taking the formula, Rogers was transformed into the perfection of human form. Erskine was killed soon after by a German spy, and Rogers handily defeated the spy. Deprived of the ability to duplicate the formula, the United States government decided to use Rogers as a symbol of the nation and Captain America was born.

Dressed in an costume with a patriotic theme and arming him with an indestructible shield, Captain America fought against the Axis powers throughout World War II, often in the company of his sidekick, a young boy code-named Bucky. Captain America clashed with many villains during the war including Baron Zemo and Arnim Zola. His greatest villain by far has been the Red Skull, a Nazi agent. He battled alongside other heroes in groups like the Invaders and the All-Winners Squad during this time.

As the war approached its close, Captain America and Bucky attempted to stop a drone plane armed with a bomb that had been unleased by Baron Zemo. The bomb exploded over the frigid waters of the North Atlantic, killing Bucky and hurling Captain America into the water. The super-soldier formula saved the hero's life by putting him into suspended animation as the water froze and encased him in ice. For many years, the original Captain America remained in this state. Others, including the Spirit of '76, filled in at the behest of the government.

The ice containing Captain America eventually found its way to an area where some Inuit lived and they began to worship the figure encased in ice. This might have gone on for many years, if not for the intervention of Namor the Submariner. The Atlantean hurled the piece of ice into the water in the midst of one of his well-known rages. The ice flow eventually floated into warmer water, where it melted. Captain America's floating body was found by the hero team the Avengers, who revived him. He soon joined the Avengers and has been a part of that team off and on for many years.

After adjusting to the lost time, Captain America continued to fight injustice. He has had a number of partners over the years, including Rick Jones, the Falcon, Demolition Man or D-Man, and Nomad. He has fought the mechinations of HYDRA and the Serpent Squad and continued to battle his old nemesis the Red Skull who also had survived over the years.

In the 1980's, Steve Rogers gave up the mantle of Captain America for a time when the U.S. government attempted to exert more control over his actions. He was replaced by a "hero" called Super Patriot who took over as Captain America for a time. Rogers during this time called himself The Captain, though eventually he returned to his original identity.

Since September 11th, the tone of Captain America seems to have taken a more real world, introspective tone. Steve Rogers has revealed his identity to the world and continues to fight justice, with his skill, strength, and a shield.

Captain America/Steve Rogers has been portrayed on film by American actor Chris Evans in Captain America: The First Avenger (2011), The Avengers (2012), Thor: The Dark World (2013), Captain America: The Winter Soldier (2014), Avengers: Age of Ultron (2015), Ant-Man (2016), Captain America: Civil War (2016), Spider-Man: Homecoming (2017), Avengers: Infinity War (2018), Captain Marvel (2019) and Avengers: Endgame (2019). These films are all parts of the Marvel Cinematic Universe.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.