CLS is a command found in BASIC that clears the output screen. Usually used at the beginning of a program. Also a DOS command that functions the same.

Here's what the source code looks like:
int main() {

   write( 1, "\033[1;1H\033[2J", 10 );
   return 0;

}
Oh no! I'm leaking Microsoft trade secrets! I hope they don't sue me.

Of course, the MICROS~1 version is probably less efficient and looks more like this:
#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdlib.h>
#include <math.h>
#include <string.h>

int main( int argc, char *argv[] ) {

   char *someptr = malloc( pow( 2, 20 ) ); /* this should be PLEANTY of space -- bill g */

   someptr = strdup ( "\033[1;1H\033[2J" );
   write( fileno(stdout), someptr, 10 );
   return 0;

}
An abbreviation for Critical Legal Studies. Adherents to this theory are sometimes referred to as "(the) Crits". CLS is a school of legal theory that draws from many influences, the most important of which is "Critical Theory" ideas of the Frankfurt School during 1930 - c. 1970. Perhaps ironically, key members of the Frankfurt School judged that refuge (or exile) in the practical, materialistic United States was their best prospect for continued development of their ideas during the two wars. Yet, they had virtually no influence on US legal theory during that period.

Starting in 1977, CLS began to gain recognition and support in North America. An academic conference at the University of Wisconsin-Madison that year proved to be the watershed event. CLS gained influence and mindshare during the 1980's especially at Harvard Law School, but in the 1990's its influence began to fall, despite the efforts of tenured faculty at prestigious law schools.

Two significant schools of thought, feminist jurisprudence and critical race theory, emerged from CLS and remain influential to date.

There's more information at Critical legal studies


Source: The Free Dictionary, "Critical legal studies" entry, http://encyclopedia.thefreedictionary.com/Critical%20legal%20studies, Accessed June 18, 2004.

This dictionary was derived from our friend, Webster 1913, and from WordNet, a semantic network created by the Cognitive Science Department of Princeton University under the direction of Prof. George Miller and is being updated and supplemented by an open coalition of volunteer collaborators from around the world. Pretty cool, eh?

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.