An independent movie from 2000.

The conservative parents of a naive teenage girl think she's a lesbian and decide to send her to a "homosexual rehab camp" to make her straight.

Made some waves because of the fact the MPAA was giving it a NC-17 rating, even though it had less sex and such than popular movies such as American Pie, just because of its subject matter. A clear double standard.

Taking satire to new level, “But I’m a Cheerleader” takes an actual phenomenon (the coming out of homosexuality movement) and ruthlessly mocks it.

It follows the life of Megan (Natasha Lyonne), a “normal” teenager (hey, she’s even a cheerleader) coming of age in a somewhat … abnormal … way. Megan’s uber-normal life is full of pom-poms, friends who all look eerily alike, and vapid enthusiasm. That is, her life is normal until her ulta-conservative parents start to think that their little girl might be—*gasp*—a lesbian.

One might wonder what the symptoms of lesbianism are … well, according to Megan’s parents, they are things like vegetarianism, having posters of lesbian icons (such real “fringe” characters as Melissa Etheridge), and a lack of enthusiasm for making out with her slobbery football player boyfriend.

In a panic, Megan’s parents host an intervention with the help of Megan’s friends, her boyfriend, and a counselor (played by an out-of-drag RuPaul) from True Directions, a homosexual rehab facility. To Megan’s complete shock, before she can say “two-three-four,” she’s sent off to True Directions to rehabilitate her.

True Directions is run by the strict, super-homophobe Mary (Cathy Moriarty). Although Megan has no idea why anyone would think she was a lesbian (she’s a cheerleader!), she complacently goes along with deprogramming so she can quickly return to her somewhat uninspiring life, especially the one thing that really makes her feel alive: cheerleading.

However, Megan begins to understand what people are talking about when she meets Graham (Clea DuVall), a non-repentant, appealing tomboy who was sent to the camp by her rich family.

In a plot twist that wouldn’t confuse a small child, but which still manages to be endearing, Megan finds herself, her true direction, and even love in the most unlikely place.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.