This is family recipe from my mother's side. The basis for this recipe was published in the Detroit Free Press on Thursday, October 15, 1970 on page 12 D. It was originally called Ragout Burgundy for Thursday. The menu they suggested to go with this stew was a tossed green salad, garlic bread and lemon cake pudding for dessert. Of course, Mom being the culinary genius that she was adopted it and made her own version. It filled the house with delicious smells and we loved coming home to it after a day traveling 20 miles back and forth to school on a school bus at below freezing temperatures.

1½ lbs Stew Meat, cubed
2 TBS Olive oil
1 clove Garlic, minced
2 Cups Water, or beef broth
8 oz Can Tomato Sauce
1-2 Teaspoons Salt
½ Teaspoon Powdered Oregano
½ Teaspoon Pepper
1 Teaspoon Sugar
4 Medium Potatoes, cubed
12 small Carrots, quartered
3 large Onions, quartered
1 package frozen green beans 1 Cup Burgundy, red wine or beer works as well

In a large kettle brown meat in olive oil for 15 to 20 minutes, seasoning with pepper to taste. Add garlic, water, or broth and tomato sauce, salt to taste if you used the broth. Add in the pepper and oregano. Cover and simmer gently for 1½ hours. You will see a nice gravy form. Add more water if needed, sugar, potatoes, carrots, and onions and simmer ½ hour or until veggies are tender. Add burgundy, wine or beer and the green beans. Simmer for another 15 minutes. Thicken gravy if desired. Serves 4 -6 people. Can be served over rice or with biscuits.

Enjoy!

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.