A big meanie. When they're kids, they like to beat up smaller children. As teenagers, they like to beat up or verbally abuse other teenagers. As adults, they either grow out of it or become wife-beaters, cops, employers, soldiers, or mean drunks.

Unfortunately, some kids who were picked on by bullies eventually grow up to become bullies themselves -- either politicians, police officers, teachers, bosses, or some other profession that lets them abuse and insult weaker people.

Bullies are oftentimes weak cowards whose low sense of self esteem needs to be boosted by picking on those even weaker than themselves. It probably gives them the only moments in their pathetic and worthless lives where they feel superior.

Most of the time they're associated with school and they eventually grow out of it, but indeed sometimes they can carry it with them and become police officers or rapists. Yes I was bullied by many compassionless wretches and a few in particular were quite nasty. (I wonder how many here have been bullied? Seems to happen a lot to the creative folk).

Should we thank bullies? Fuck no.

Are you kidding me? It was brought up that they helped us shape who we are. Well, OK, fine, your mileage may vary, but at least for me, I don't think I benefited. The bullies did, however, give me a wonderful gift: a seething, throbbing ball of pure hate and rage buried deep inside of me that would really love to be let loose and bash some fucking heads in. Thanks, guys, I really appreciate it! Yes, I get it, I saw the "Tapestry" episode of Star Trek: The Next Generation, I understand that all the events of our life are intricately woven and you change one thing and it all falls apart, but even given that, I'm not sure I buy that being bullied was a good thing. You might think that being bullied gives you a better sense of compassion for others, makes you want to be the opposite. No, all I learned from it is how to hate, and how to hate with white hot intensity. I had compassion before and after it.

As far as the video game goes, I think I'd like to play it...maybe exorcise some of that hate. Is it distasteful? Maybe. So are a lot of other video games out there, to some people. But I feel that rather then encouraging kids to go to school and kill their bullies, it might actually prevent them from doing it. They can get on the ol' Playstation or Xbox and blow bullies away and get that sense of satisfaction that way and they won't need to really go to school with a baseball bat -- or worse, a gun -- and kill the miserable bastards who've been mistreating them.

Of course I could be wrong, playing the game might entice them to go and do it for real, but I don't think I am.


Yes I know the above was highly subjective and emotion-packed, forgive me, it was cathartic to write it, and I do think I made some good points. Oh, look, as I'm writing this, my MP3 playlist got to Pearl Jam's "Jeremy." Interesting.

Bul"ly (&?;), n.; pl. Bullies (&?;). [Cf. LG. bullerjaan, bullerbäk, bullerbrook, a blusterer, D. bulderaar a bluster, bulderen to bluster; prob. of imitative origin; or cf. MHG. buole lover, G. buhle.]

1.

A noisy, blustering fellow, more insolent than courageous; one who is threatening and quarrelsome; an insolent, tyrannical fellow.

Bullies seldom execute the threats they deal in.
Palmerston.

2.

A brisk, dashing fellow. [Slang Obs.] Shak.

 

© Webster 1913


Bul"ly (&?;), a.

1.

Jovial and blustering; dashing. [Slang] "Bless thee, bully doctor." Shak.

2.

Fine; excellent; as, a bully horse. [Slang, U.S.]

 

© Webster 1913


Bul"ly, v. t. [imp. & p. p. Bullied (&?;); p. pr. & vb. n. Bullying.]

To intimidate with threats and by an overbearing, swaggering demeanor; to act the part of a bully toward.

For the last fortnight there have been prodigious shoals of volunteers gone over to bully the French, upon hearing the peace was just signing.
Tatler.

Syn. -- To bluster; swagger; hector; domineer.

 

© Webster 1913


Bul"ly, v. i.

To act as a bully.

 

© Webster 1913


Bul"ly (?), n., Bul"ly beef` (?) . [F. bouilli boiled meat, fr. bouillir to boil. See Boil, v. The word bouilli was formerly commonly used on the labels of canned beef.]

Pickled or canned beef.

 

© Webster 1913

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.