A quick note before we start - this table is designed to be purely functionary. It does not look professional or even remotely stylish - I use mine to hold a pair of turntables and keep it covered with a tablecloth. Furthermore, this is NOT intended as a carpentary course or anything similar - it's just an idea that I had one day which actually worked ok.

Ok, I'm no carpenter (I'm not really a handyman at all) but I have just finished constructing quite a sturdy and reliable bench/table kind of thing and thought I would share the secret with all you fine people... To complete this project you will need the following:

  • A wooden saw horse (the things that carpenter's use to rest bits of wood on so that they can cut them ...)
  • A piece of MDF of appropriate size (this will be the table top)
  • Several decent sized screws - I used 3, about 4cm long by .8cm diameter
  • A drill + bits (unless your screws are of the self tapping variety you will also need a Borer larger than the screw heads
  • Something to cover the tabletop (eg Vinyl, carpet, stitched leather etc...)

Ok now that you've got it all together it's time to build the thing. Firstly, sit the MDF on the saw horse so that there is equal overhang on each of the four sides. You will need to drill some guide holes in the top of the saw horse - this will make it easier to get the screws in later. Once this is done, take the drill bit out and insert the borer into the drill. Aim the pointy bit at the centre of the first guide hole and squeeze the trigger.

If all goes well you should now be enlarging the hole, you will only need to go as deep as your screw heads (a little deeper won't hurt, just don't push it right through the MDF). Repeat this on each hole.

Right, now you can line up the holes in the MDF with those in the saw horse and screw them screws down. If you did everything right the head of the screws should be flush with the tabletop (or a bit lower). Well that's the construction done - you can now cover the top in whatever you choose - I found a staple gun useful for this task but I suppose some craft glue would suffice at a pinch. You may also choose to paint or otherwise cover the legs of the table, but I'll leave that up to you the reader...

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.