The Brasserie Lipp is a famous Paris restaurant located in the left bank. Just in case you might ever want to go there the address is 151, Bld. Saint-Germain.

A brasserie is a place to drink beer, or wine, or coffee.

The Brasserie Lipp is reknowned for it’s Alsatian cuisine, it is simple food and plenty of it. It is a place to converse, to read and even to write. The menu has changed little over the years, with specialties like Hareng Bismark (pickled Baltic herring) which was introduced in 1928. Other menu items include the Choucroute Lipp (sauerkraut with sausages, pork and ham), and Pied de Porc Farci Grillé (grilled pigs trotters).

The Brasserie Lipp was opened in the 1870’s by Léonard Lipp during the Franco-Prussian War. It was purchased in 1920 by Marcellin Cazas.

It has been a meeting place for television personalities, ministers (it is halfway between the French Senate, and National Assembly), actors, and many literary figures.
Among them was Ernest Hemingway who wrote in his book A Moveable Feast:

"The beer was very cold and wonderful to drink. The pommes à l'huile were firm and marinated and the olive oil delicious. I ground black pepper over the potatoes and moistened the bread in the olive oil. After the first heavy draft of beer I drank and ate very slowly. When the pommes à l'huile were gone I ordered another serving of cervelas. This was a sausage like a heavy, wide frankfurter split in two and covered with a special mustard sauce.
I mopped up all the oil and all of the sauce with bread and drank the beer slowly until it began to loose its coldness and finished it and ordered a demi ..."

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.