The forebear of the modern Atlanta Braves, the team was so named in 1907 when bankers John S. C. Dovey and his brother George bought the team. At the time of his purchase, it was rare for a team to have an official nickname (the teams preferred to be called by their hometown - unlike today) and so it was rather easy for sportswriters and fans to adopt new nicknames for the team.

The Doveys' buying of the team did little to affect the hapless Boston squad. In 1907, only one player batted .300 or better, the team as a whole batted .243, and the most illustrious player on the team was no-name outfielder Ginger Beaumont. In 1908, the team won 4 more games than the previous year, but again struggled to bat, pitch, and field with any degree of success. The Dovey brothers realized they would have to find more talent if they wanted to succeed.

In the summer of 1909, while on a scouting trip in Ohio, George suddenly became ill and died at the young age of 48. John took over the ownership full-time, but his heart was no longer in the game. Over the winter of 1910, he sold the team to William H. Russell, causing fans and sportswriters to give the National League Boston team a new nickname: the Rustlers.

Team Index
Boston Braves | Boston Pilgrims

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.