This genealogical tract appears in the Peniarth Manuscript #45, dating to the thirteenth century, but possibly a copy of a twelfth century text. It records the pedigrees of the northern kings of Celtic Britain in the sixth century, that is, the time of Arthur and afterwards, when Britain fell to the Saxons.
  • Vryen m. Kynuarch m. Meirchawn m. Gorust Letlwm m. Keneu m. Coel
  • Llywarch Hen m. Elidyr Lydanwyn m. Meirchawn m. Gorust Ledlwm m. Keneu m. Coel
  • IClydno Eidin & Chynan Genhir & Chynuelyn Drwsgyl, Kynvawr Hadgaddvc & Chatrawt Calchuynyd, meibon Kynnwyt Kynnwydyon m. Kynuelyn m. Arthwys m. Mar m. Keneu m. Coel
  • Dunawt & Cherwyd & Sawyl Pen Uchel meibyon Pabo Post Prydein m. Arthwys m. Mar m. Keneu m. Coel
  • Gwrgi & Phered meibon Eliffer Gosgord Uawr m. Arthwys m. Mar m. Keneu m. Coel
  • Gwendoleu & Nud & Chof meibyon Keidyaw m. Arthwys m. Mar m. Keneu m. Coel
  • Trychan cledyf Kynuerchyn a thrychan ysgwyt Kyrtnwdyon a thrycha wayw Coeling; pa neges bynhac yd elynt iddi yn duun, nyt amethei hon honno
  • Ryderch Hael m. Tutwal Tutelyt m. Kedic m. Dyuynwal Hen Mordaf m. Seruan m. Kedic m. Dyfynwal Hen
  • EIffin m. Gwydno m. Cawrdaf m. Garmonyawn m. Dyfynwal Hen
  • Gauran m. Aedan Uradawc m. Dyuynwal Hen m. Idnyuet m. Maxen Wledic, Amherawdyr Ruuein
  • Elidyr Mwynuawr m. Gorust Priodawr m. Dyfynwal Hen
  • Huallu m. TutuwIch Corneu, tywyssawc o Kernyw, & Dywanw merch Amlawt Wledic y uam

It is translated as:

  • Urien son of Cynfarch son of Merchion son of Gorwst Lledlum son of Ceneu son of Coel. Urien is Urien of Rheged, Uriens of Gorre in Arthurian Romance. Merchion is also the father of King Mark of the Tristan and Iseult tale; and Coel is Old King Cole.
  • Llywarch the Old son of Elidyr Lydanwyn son of Meirchawn son of Gorust Ledlwm son of Keneu son of Coel. Llywarch was not only a chieftan, but is credited with several poems in both The Red Book of Hergest and the Black Book of Carmarthen.
  • Clydno Eidin & Chynan Genhir & Chynuelyn Drwsgyl, Cynfawr Hadgadduc & Chatrawd Calchuynyd, are the sons of Cynnwyd Cynnwydyon son of Cynfelyn son of Arthwys son of Mar son of Keneu son of Coel. Cynfelyn is the same name as Cymbeline, but this is a much later person than the historical/literary figure.
  • Dunawd & Cherwyd & Sawyl High-head are the sons of Pabo the Pillar of Britain son of Arthwys son of Mar son of Keneu son of Coel.
  • Gwrgi & Peredur are the sons of Eliffer of the Great Retinue son of Arthwys son of Mar son of Keneu son of Coel. Peredur is usually identified with the figure of the eponymous Welsh romance from The Mabinogion, which identifies him with Sir Perceval the Grail knight.
  • Gwendoleu & Nudd & Chof the sons of Ceidyaw son of Arthwys... etc. Gwendoleu was the pagan king defeated by Maelgwn Gwynedd, Rhydderch Hael, Aedan macGabhran and Peredur at the Battle of Arthuret.
  • I don't know enough Welsh to translate this passage at this time; I will edit it at a later date.
  • Rydderch the Tall son of Tudwal Tudelyd son of Kedic son of Dyuynwal the Old. Rhydderch Hael is also said to be the brother-in-law of Myrddin
  • Mordaf son of Seruan son of Kedic son of Dyfynwal the Old.
  • Elffin son of Gwyddno son of Cawrdaf son of Garmonyawn son of Dyfynwal the Old. Elffin is the same as Elphin, to whom Taliesin was bard in the romance Hanes Taliesin. His father is Gwyddno Garanhir, whose kingdom sunk into the sea at Cardigan Bay.
  • Gabhran son of Aedan Uradawc son of Dyuynwal the Old son of Idnyued son of Warlord Maxen, Emperor of Rome. Here the order has been reversed, a mistake saying that Gabhran is the son of Aedan, while it was Aedan who was the son of Gabhran. Aedan actually had a son named Arthur, and some believe this was the real King Arthur; yes or no, Gabhran was a Scot, which at this time meant Irishman, particularly from Ulster. As for Maxen, he is the same as the Breuwydd Macsen or "Dream of Maxen" from The Mabinogion.
  • Elidyr Mwynuawr son of Gorust Priodawr son of Dyfynwal the Old
  • Huallu son of Tudfwlch Corneu, prince of Cornwall, & Dywanw daughter of Warlord Amlawdd. Dynwanw is the sister of Eigyr, the Welsh Igrain, the mother of Arthur. Huallu is Hoel.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.