This is an ale brewed by Whitbread Leasure PLC. Brewed in Strangeways, Manchester (yes near the prison with the riots).
The current mascot is a male cow(with udders) and a Lancashire rather than Manc accent.

Boddingtons is a golden bitter with a light, creamy texture and a malty flavour. Despite being served through lager-style pumps, it's quite flat and tastes relatively good (which is fortunate as it seems to be the only vaguely proper beer in several venues I frequent). It's not bad from a can, either.

It was first brewed in 1778 by the Strangeways Brewery, which was built just outside Manchester's city boundaries of the day to avoid a tax levied by the Manchester Grammar School on grain grinding. It gained its current name in 1852 when Henry Boddington became the sole owner of the brewery, having become a partner in 1832. It was taken over by Whitbread in 1989, who were subsequently bought out by Interbrew in 2001; in 2005, Interbrew closed the Strangeways brewery, and the brewing of the cask version of Boddingtons was contracted out to Hydes Brewery. The keg version is brewed in Interbrew's breweries in Preston, South Wales and Glasgow, which is a slightly unfortunate state of affairs for a beer advertised as the cream of Manchester, but such is life in the world of mass-market beer. Of the Strangeways brewery, only the landmark chimney sporting the brand name remains.

Its current logo, introduced in the 1970s, features a cask drawn in white, black and yellow, with a pair of bees sitting on it. At first glance, their presence seems pretty incongruous; what association with bees does Boddingtons have? When I noticed them, I only knew of one other beer with bees in its logo, whose defining ingredient is, logically enough, honey. But Boddingtons is in no way nectar-tinged, so that's no explanation. As it turns out, the floor of Manchester Town Hall is a mosaic of bees, and the city's coat of arms is topped with them; they became a symbol of the city during the Industrial Revolution, when it was considered a hive of industry. The bee motif is also present on the city's bins and other street furniture. Given its strong ties to the city, the design is not as strange as it initially appeared.

That said, I prefer to think of it as a homage to the Poddington Peas

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.