A 'blower' is also slang for a supercharger on an internal combustion engine, usually on an automobile. One classic example of the type is the Judson Supercharger, a variant found on many sportscars of the 1920s through the 1960s.

It's also used to refer to a telephone, usually by military personnel; this may be due to the use in past Navy ships of speaking tubes which required one to shout into them, hence 'blower.'

A blower is a business or person who is engaged in invoice fraud.

The general approach is to first call a target business to discuss advertising opportunities for the business and to glean useful information like the names of staff etc..

After some time has passed the blower sends an overdue invoice for advertising with a claim it was authorised by staff at the target business - they have their names so it must be true! Often there is no advertising actually placed in directories or other publications or the publications were never distributed.

If confronted a blower will often use hard sell techniques, intimidation and demands of quick payment in a hope to get payment for the non-existent advertising. The blower preys on busy workplaces where there might be some confusion, uneducated (or easily intimidated) staff and/or no clear advertising or bill payment procedure.

P.S. I only made this node so that e2 would become in some way work related. Hah! Take that employer.

Blow"er (?), n.

1.

One who, or that which, blows.

2. Mech.

A device for producing a current of air; as: (a) A metal plate temporarily placed before the upper part of a grate or open fire. (b) A machine for producing an artificial blast or current of air by pressure, as for increasing the draft of a furnace, ventilating a building or shaft, cleansing gram, etc.

3.

A blowing out or excessive discharge of gas from a hole or fissure in a mine.

4.

The whale; -- so called by seamen, from the circumstance of its spouting up a column of water.

5. Zool.

A small fish of the Atlantic coast (Tetrodon turgidus); the puffer.

6.

A braggart, or loud talker.

[Slang]

Bartlett.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.