Democratic Senator from Arkansas

Blanche Lincoln was born in Helena, Arkansas to Jordan Lambert Jr. and Martha Kelly Lambert. Lincoln comes from a seventh-generation Arkansas farm family. She got her bachelor’s degree from Randolph-Macon Woman’s College in Lynchburg, Virginia as well as studying at the University of Arkansas in Fayetteville. She is married to Dr. Steve Lincoln and they are the parents of twin boys, Reece and Bennett Lincoln. Her website describes her as a young mother working to balance her private life and public service, ““She’s not somebody that you see on Hardball and Crossfire every night because she’s got another life,” notes political commentator Charlie Cook, founder of The Cook Political Report.”

She was first elected to public office in 1992 when she won a seat in the U.S. House of Representatives, representing the First Congressional District in Arkansas. She was the first woman ever elected to that post. In the House she helped found the “Blue Dog Coalition”, a group of socially-moderate, fiscally conservative Democrats.

Senator Lincoln was elected to the United States Senate on November 3, 1998, becoming the youngest woman ever elected to the Senate. She is only the second woman to win a U.S. Senate seat representing Arkansas, the other being Hattie Wyatt Caraway who was the first woman ever elected to the Senate. Lincoln was sworn in as Arkansas' 32nd U.S. Senator on January 6, 1999.

Senator Lincoln was one of nine female senators to co-author Nine and Counting a book about their experiences in the U.S. Senate and other government positions. In 2001, when the number of women in the U.S. Senate rose to 13 a new edition was published to reflect the increase in female senators.

Lincoln is a member of the Senate New Democrat Coalition and helped found the Senate Centrist Coalition.

Her web-page includes the ‘BBQ Bandwagon’ which is dedicated to “highlighting Arkansas barbeque ‘hot spots.’”

Her Committees:

Her website and contact information:
Telephone: (202) 224-4843
Homepage: http://www.senate.gov/~lincoln/
Online contact: mailto:blanche_lincoln@lincoln.senate.gov
Office: Room 825 in Hart Senate Office Building
Washington, D.C. 20510

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.