Compiled overview of the 85 ton Black Watch 'Mech, from various BattleTech novels and game sourcebooks:



The Black Watch is the fulfillment of several dreams. The first dream was that of Cosara Weaponries (producers of the Crab), who wanted to expand their operations. The second dream was dear to the Northwind Highlanders, who have long craved the independence that Wolf’s Dragoons and the Kell Hounds enjoy in having their own private suppliers of military hardware. Finally, Captain Neil Campbell of the Royal Black Watch Company dreamed of creating a 'Mech that would symbolize the new spirit of unity in the Inner Sphere by incorporating technologies from various Successor States. The Black Watch is the result of all these dreams coming together.

The Black Watch is built around the same chassis as the SLDF's training 'Mech, the Crockett. Cosara Weaponries chose that design for its ruggedness and its jump jets; the latter an unusual feature on an assault 'Mech.

Early in the planning stages, the engineers wanted to install an extralight engine. However, that soon changed because of the extent to which an XL engine makes a 'Mech vulnerable in battle. Though XL engines weigh less than standard engines, allowing a 'Mech to carry more equipment, they are also bulky, taking up vast areas of the 'Mech's torso. Attacks that damage the torso are therefore much more likely to inflict critical damage to an XL engine than to a standard model.

When the designers were selecting weaponry for the Black Watch, the debate centered around the new 'Mech's mission. Captain Neil Campbell pushed that this 'Mech's primary goal is to act as a reminder that the Inner Sphere can and must face the Clans united. He therefore petitioned to incorporate Draconis Combine and Free Worlds League weaponry into the design. After many months of negotiation, the new Shigunga MRM-40 Launcher and C3 slave equipment from the Draconis Combine, as well as Imperator Automatic Weaponry’s new light Gauss rifle and Ultra10 autocannon from the Free Worlds League, were shipped to Northwind to be installed on the new 'Mech.

Many critics of the new design believe that its haphazard creation will be its downfall. As proof, they point out that additional shipments of weapons and equipment from the Free Worlds League and the Draconis Combine hinge upon the results of the 'Mech's initial testing.

The Black Watch is currently in the prototype stage, undergoing testing that will decide its future. However, the Clan Elders on Northwind have already stated that the first machines off the production line will go to the Royal Black Watch Company, after which they will begin to fill requests from other Northwind Highlander units.



Note: Information used here was the domain of FASA before they split the rights between Wizkids LLC and Microsoft (table-top gaming and video games respectively). Copyright of the fluff text is in limbo, but names of persons, places, & things are without any doubt the property of Wizkids LLC. Use of any terms here related to the BattleTech trademark are not meant as a challenge to Wizkids LLC's rights.

Nemo me impune lacessit (also spelled laecessit) is the motto of the Black Watch, Royal Highlanders Regiment, of the British Infantry. In Latin, the motto translates to "No one attacks me with impunity," or in the vulgar, "Mess with me and I'll kick your ass."

The motto is deeply reflective of the Regiment's history, and like the Black Watch themselves, it is a powerful symbol of British Imperialism.

The Black Watch were officially formed in 1715, from among the Scottish clans loyal to King George I. The men of the Black Watch had already been serving Britain informally for decades, helping to enforce the crown's dominance over Scotland. Joining the watch was quite attractive to the young men of good breeding in the Highlands, since membership carried with it the privilege of bearing arms; in order to secure Britain's domination over Scotland, George I had outlawed the bearing of arms by individuals in Scotland. Only government-sanctioned troops were allowed to carry swords - the famous Scottish claymores were banned and anyone caught carrying them would be expatriated.

Over time, the role of the Black Watch expanded beyond simply enforcing the King's law on Scotland. In 1743, the regiment traveled to the Continent to enforce Britain's interests there. They caused quite a fashion stir, as they were the first kilted regiment seen outside Scotland. Their famous dark blue and green plaid is still commonly worn today, incorporated into a wide variety of fashions.

The Regiment went on to distinguish itself in the Americas, in conflicts with the French, and over the years has played an important part in the major conflicts in which Britain has fought, including both World Wars.

The fame and reputation of the Black Watch have inspired many other organizations, who have adopted the Scottish thistle and the famous Latin motto for their own.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.