The binturong, Arctictis binturong, is a member of the order Carnivora, and the family Viverridae. The binturong is a carnivore though its primary source of food is fruits. It will also eat carrior, insects, lizards and can swim good enough to catch fish.

Binturongs find thier home in Southeast Asia, both the mainland and surrounding islands. It is most likely to be found in Thailand, Laos or Vietnam. The binturong spends most of its time in the trees and is hardly ever found along the forest floor.

The binturong is the only mammal with a prehinsile tail. This tail can be used to help balance the creature as it walks among the tree branches. Its face is lighter in color than its body and is very similar in appearance to racoons, wolverines, or badgers.

The bninturong male weighs about 25-30 pounds while the female ways more. This animal is the second largest amongst the Viverridae family.

The bintroung is often domesticated becaue of its affectionate nature and its diet of mice, rats and cockroaches.


Information for this node was taken from the Animal Planet website, located at animal.discovery.com

Bin"tu*rong (?), n. Zool.

A small Asiatic civet of the genus Arctilis.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.