Beware the beast man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone among God's primates, he kills for sport or lust or greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, for he is the harbinger of death.

Planet of the Apes

The above quote is from the 29th scroll, 6th verse in the writings of the Lawgiver. It is read aloud by Cornelius at the behest of Dr. Zaius. The heretic Cornelius is convinced that apes have descended from man. In an effort to prove his point he takes the human Taylor to see Dr. Zaius - who serves as both Minister of Science and Defender of the Faith. Zaius is not interested in Cornelius' arguments; for he already knows their truth -- but he will NOT support Cornelius' claims.

Taylor asks Dr. Zaius why he is so afraid of him and why he hates him. Zaius replies,

Because you're a man, and you're right. I have always known about man. From the evidence, I believe his wisdom must walk hand-in-hand with his idiocy, his emotions must rule his brains, he must be a war-like creature who gives battle to everything around him, even himself ... The forbidden zone was once a paradise. Your breed made a desert of it, ages ago.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.