Got a cold? A bad one? Got the flu? Bit of a cough? Horrible isn't it? What you need is something to sort you out. Something to -- depending on how bad you are -- get you through that day at work or at least make you not feel like you're going to die.

It's all the different parts together that make it so bad though. The fever, the aches and pains, the whole lot. Yeah, some paracetamol will bring that fever down and some cough mixture will maybe soothe your chest a bit. However, during a particularly nasty cold a couple of years ago, I discovered the one product -- made by pfizer -- that will do the whole lot for you: Benylin 4 flu.

What's it like?

Available as tablets or as a liquid -- although I've personally only tried the liquid -- it'll set you back around five pounds either way. The liquid comes in a traditional brown cough mixture-type bottle; you pour 20ml of the orange gloopy substance inside into the little plastic cap and pour it down your throat. It tastes, like most medicine pretty nasty - a bit honeyish, very very sweet, but you'll soon forgive it.

How does it work?

It contains the following substances to help you through your ailments:

Paracetemol (1g)
As an analgesic and an antipyretic it helps relieve any pain and fever.
Diphenhydramine (25mg)
An antihistamine and antitussive which will calm any cough
Pseudoephedrine (45mg)
A decongestant which helps unblock stuffy noses.
Gloopiness
The general gloopiness helps soothe your throat a bit.

Any side effects?

Well, it's 10 per-cent alcohol, so it don't drink too much and fly a jumbo jet. The big one, though, is the Pseudoephedrine. It's related to amphetamine and it may start keeping you up at night, especially if you've got a high caffeine intake -- it did to me. Each capfull has a full dose of paracetamol so don't drink too much or you'll knacker your liver.

The Details

Ingredients: Diphenhydramine Hydrochloride (25mg), Paracetamol (1g), Pseudoephedrine Hydrochloride (45mg), Propylene glycol, Sodium Benzoate, Glycerol, Ethanol, E124

Dosage: Take up to four times a day if necessary. Leave at least four hours between doses. Adults, 20ml. Children (6 - 10 years), 10ml. Not recommended for children under 6 years. Do not use more than 4 doses in 24 hours.

Warnings: Do not exceed the stated dose. May cause drowsiness. If affected do not drive or operate machinery. Avoid alcoholic drink.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.