Bennington, Vermont is located on the banks of the Walloomsac River in Bennington County at 42.9° north and 73.2° west. It has a current population of about 14000.

The area around Bennington was originally the home of the Abenaki tribe. European explorers arrived to the area in the late 17th century, as British colonists explored the area round the Connecticut River. In 1749, the colonial governor of New Hampshire, Benning Wentworth, chartered a new settlement on the other side of the Connecticut River, which he considered territory of his colony. He named the new settlement Bennington, after himself. The original settlement was created in 1761 in Old Bennington by settlers from Connecticut and Massachusetts.

Almost immediately, the colonial government of New York disputed Hew Hampshire's claim to create settlements west of the Connecticut River, which each colony considered their territory. New York sent troops into the Green Mountains to tax the settlers for living on New York land. In response, the locals in Bennington organized a militia to protect themselves from the "Yorkers". The militia was called the Green Mountain Boys, and was led by Ethan Allen and Seth Warner. This militia would capture Fort Ticonderoga at the beginning of the American Revolution, and fight in the Battle of Hubbardton. While not fought in Bennington, the Battle of Bennington took place five miles away in Walloomsac, New York, as a British force was sent to capture the city.

The city began to move closer to the river in the early 1800's, and soon developed what is now the downtown area. Industry popped up around this new settlement, with several mills using waterpower from the Walloomsac. Some of these mills still exist today. Bennington became very well known for pottery that is made here.

Beginning in 1887, the residents of Bennington began construction of a monument to the Battle of Bennington. Completed in 1889, the Bennington Monument stands over 300-feet tall, and is constructed mostly out of Sandy Hill Dolomite from Hudson Falls. The monument had to wait another two years after construction to have a dedication ceremony, which was attended by President Benjamin Harrison.

Bennington is the home of Bennington College and Southern Vermont College, as well as a large collection of artifacts from the colonial era at the Bennington Museum. The Bennington area also has several covered bridges that cross the local creeks.


Resources
http://www.benningtonvt.net
http://www.bennington.com
http://www.benningtonbanner.com
http://www.vtliving.com

@@ N42.88,W73.21 @@

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.