Beavis And Butthead Do America (1996)

Directed by: Mike Judge & Yvette Kaplan
Written by: Mike Judge
Genre: Animated, Action, Comedy

Cast: Mike Judge, Robert Stack, Bruce Willis (uncredited), Demi Moore (uncredited), Cloris Leachman, Jacqueline Barba, Pamela Blair

Plot:
After waking up to find their TV stolen, our intrepid duo set off to find it. What follows is a wild cross-country road trip involving in assassination conspiracies, a killer virus and the White House while narrowly escaping the clutches of the authorities, lead by BATF Special Agent Flemming (Stack).

Review:
While it is tempting to just completely rip the shit out of Beavis & Butthead and however terrifying the prospect of spending 80 whole minutes with them may seem for you, I do admit that I actually rather liked this movie. True, it has the comic subtlety and grace of a slap in the face with a house brick but that's not what Beavis & Butthead were ever about. What the show (and this movie) was about is the often amusing misadventures to two horny, rather stupid teenage boys. The movie itself plays somewhat like an extended episode of the TV series, which can work for or against the film (in this case it neither works for or against it). Some familiar characters make an appearance including hippie teacher Mr. Van Driessen and Principal McVicker.

Do America sees the pair waking up to find that their beloved TV has been stolen. The boys resolve to find their TV ("we must find the butthole who took our TV") and somehow end up in a dodgy motel. There they meet a guy called Rusty (Willis), who offers them $10,000 to fly to Vegas and "do" his ex-wife Debbie (Moore). Hilariously (but not suprisingly), the boys take this to mean "have sex with her" and happily accept the offer. When they arrive in Vegas and find her, she easily outwits them and persuades them to instead fly to Washington, D.C. where she'll meet them. Unbeknownst to the pair (though some would argue that covers pretty much anything), she sews a secret government device containing a deadly virus that the Bureau Of Alcohol, Tobacco & Firearms (BATF), led by Special Agent Flemming (Stack), desperately wants back into the lining of Beavis's shorts. However, things don't go according to plan and the boys find themselves winding across America on a hilarious cross-country road trip (including a disastrous stop at the Hoover Dam - "uh, is this a God damn, uh huh?"), all the while narrowly alluding the clutches of the BATF and the authorities who hilariously mistake them for genius criminal masterminds.

Even though most of the movie's content consists of sexual and toilet humour ("hehe, wood"), Do America parodies a lot of popular culture. There's the pre-title sequence that openly imitates King Kong movies and the opening title sequence that parodies Shaft and Charlie's Angels. Even Bill Clinton pops in near the end to congratulate the boys on their "service to the country" and to make them "honorary agents" of the BATF. Sure, the movie definitely won't win any Oscars, but it's a fun diversion if you're looking for some mindless, escapist, non-serious fun. File under movies like Dude, Where's My Car?.

Rating: PG-13 for continuous crude sex-related humour and language and a drug-related scene

Soundtrack:

Released on Universal/Geffen, the soundtrack has the following track list:

Links:
IMDB page - http://us.imdb.com/Title?0115641

Source:
IMDB
CDNow

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.