Beat writers were a small group of close friends first, and a movement later.

The Beat Generation in literature comprised a relatively small number of writers, of which Jack Kerouac, Allen Ginsberg and William S Burroughs are the best known today. All three met in the environs of Columbia University in New York City in the mid-1940's, and they remained close friends.

Although the group began in New York, it wasn't long before they began spreading out across the country.

People who were associated with the Beat Generation at one point or another include:

The Beats borrowed a lot of their revolutionary spirit from the exploding Jazz scene at the same time. They frequented the Jazz clubs in Greenwich Village where they saw Lester Young and Charlie Parker. Among the clubs they went to was Birdland where they once met Artie Shaw. They set a lot of the groundwork for the musical and cultural revolution of the 1960's that was to follow.

Related:


Sources: Gruen, John, "The New Bohemia", a capella books, Chicago, 1990. Miles, Barry, "Jack Kerouac, King of the Beats", Henry Holt and Co., New York, 1998 Waldman, Anne (ed.), "The BEAT BOOK: Poems and Fiction from the beat generation", Shambhala, Boston, 1996 Sanders, Ed, "Tales of Beatnik Glory", Citadel Underground, New York, 1975 Last Updated 07.05.03

But then they danced down the street like dingledodies, and I shambled after as I've been doing all my life after people who interest me, because the only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!"

--Jack Kerouac




The Beat Generation had a strong kinship with jazz music, poetry, drugs, bohemia, mysticism, sex, and virtually anything which rebelled against "normal" 1950's society. Literary works relied heavily upon improvisation and inspiration. If you read Beat poetry or prose, you'll recognize the lack of traditional metering replaced by a subconscious rhythmic stream. In addition, art was showcased without revision.

The Beat movement centered around poetry readings, jazz performances, and coffee shops located in San Francisco and Greenwich Village.

The phrase "Beat Generation" was coined by Jack Kerouac around 1952 in a double entendre to convey both depression and beatificion.

The best timeframe I find for The Beat Generation is from 1944 to 1960. Thus this culture overlaps with the Baby Boomers, whose timeframe runs from 1946 to 1964. The beats, like the hippies can be regarded as a Baby Boomer sub-culture, to me they are the cream that rose to the top from the masses of the Baby Boomers. (Well you can tell where my sympathy’s lie without much trouble.) The beats evolved from The Bohemian's as the hippies arose from The Beats.

The term “Beat Generation” was coined by John Clellon Holmes in his November 16, 1952, article This Is The Beat Generation, for the New York Times Magazine.

Several months ago, a national magazine ran a story under the heading 'Youth' and the subhead 'Mother Is Bugged At Me.' It concerned an eighteen-year-old California girl who had been picked up for smoking marijuana and wanted to talk about it. While a reporter took down her ideas in the uptempo language of 'tea,' someone snapped a picture. In view of her contention that she was part of a whole new culture where one out of every five people you meet is a user, it was an arresting photograph. In the pale, attentive face, with its soft eyes and intelligent mouth, there was no hint of corruption. It was a face which could only be deemed criminal through an enormous effort of righteousness. Its only complaint seemed to be: 'Why don't people leave us alone?' It was the face of a beat generation.
Its members have an instinctive individuality, needing no bohemianism or imposed eccentricity to express it. Brought up during the collective bad circumstances of a dreary depression, weaned during the collective uprooting of a global war, they distrust collectivity. But they have never been able to keep the world out of their dreams. The fancies of their childhood inhabited the half-light of Munich, the Nazi-Soviet pact, and the eventual blackout. Their adolescence was spent in a topsy-turvy world of war bonds, swing shifts, and troop movements. They grew to independent mind on beachheads, in gin mills and USO's, in past-midnight arrivals and pre-dawn departures. Their brothers, husbands, fathers or boy friends turned up dead one day at the other end of a telegram. At the four trembling corners of the world, or in the home town invaded by factories or lonely servicemen, they had intimate experience with the nadir and the zenith of human conduct, and little time for much that came between. The peace they inherited was only as secure as the next headline. It was a cold peace. Their own lust for freedon, and the ability to live at a pace that kills (to which the war had adjusted them), led to black markets, bebop, narcotics, sexual promiscuity, hucksterism, and Jean-Paul Sartre. The beatness set in later.

Important writers of the Beat movement where William Burroughs, Jack Kerouac, and Allen Ginsberg; they shared a passion for experimentation with drugs, sexuality, and Neal Cassady.

Some novels of The Beat Generation were "On the Road", "Howl," and "Naked Lunch".

Some notable women of the beats were, Carolyn Cassady who wrote a memoir about her time with Cassady, Kerouac, and Ginsberg called Off the Road. Edie Parker Kerouac who has described her times with Jack Kerouac in her yet unpublished memoirs.

The drugs of choice for The Beat Generation were alcohol, marijuana and heroin, the psychedelic drugs were not available until the end of the 1950’s. The music of The Beat Generation was Jazz.

The Beat culture had it’s own language. In the pre Hippie hip of the beats, “getting straight” meant getting stoned on heroin, post Hippie; straight means not using drugs or not being gay.

Sources: 'This Is The Beat Generation' by John Clellon Holmes
You can find this article online at http://www.litkicks.com/Texts/ThisIsBeatGen.html

The Beat Generation Archives found at http://www.halcyon.com/colinp/beats.htm
The Language of the Hip found at http://www.halcyon.com/colinp/hipterms.htm

Beat Generation metawriteup


The East Coast Beats:

William S. Burroughs
Junky
Naked Lunch
The Last Words of Dutch Schultz
The Western Lands
Interzone
The Black Rider
Spare Ass Annie and other tales
The Cut-up Technique
Gregory Corso
• "The Mad Yak"
• "Marriage"
Allen Ginsberg
• "America"
• "Anti-Vietnam War Peace Mobilization"
• "Father Death Blues"
• "First Party at Ken Kesey’s with Hell’s Angels"
• "Howl"
• "My Alba"
• "On Burroughs' Work"
• "A Supermarket in California"
• "Sunflower Sutra"
• for a complete list see Allen Ginsberg’s poems
Jack Kerouac
On the Road
Visions of Cody
The Scripture of the Golden Eternity
haikus by Jack Kerouac
• "Belief and Technique for Modern Prose"
• "Essentials of Spontaneous Prose"

Lucien Carr
Neal Cassady
The First Third
• "The Great Sex Letter"
• The Merry Pranksters
John Clellon Holmes
Herbert Huncke
Carl Solomon


The San Francisco Renaissance:

The Six Gallery poetry reading

Lawrence Ferlinghetti
City Lights bookstore and publishing
Pocket Poets series
Bob Kaufman
• "All those ships that never sailed"
• "Heavy Water Blues"
• "I AM A CAMERA"
• "Jazz Chick"
• "O-Jazz-O"
• "On"
• "Round About Midnight"
• "Unhistorical Events"
Philip Lamantia
• "Time Traveler's Potlatch"
Michael McClure
• "For the Death of 100 Whales"
• "Point Lobos: Animism"
• "Watching the Stolen Rose"
Kenneth Rexroth
• "Easy Lessons in Geophagy"
• "Trout"
Gary Snyder
• "Mid-August At Sourdough Mountain Lookout"
• "Pine Tree Tops"
• "Smokey the Bear Sutra"
• "What you should know to be a poet"
Lew Welch
• "The Basic Con"
• "Chicago Poem"
• "Ring of Bone"
Philip Whalen


Fellow travelers:

Amiri Baraka/LeRoi Jones
Charles Bukowski
Factotum
Diane di Prima
• "April Fool Birthday Poem for Grandpa"
Memoirs of a Beatnik
Bob Dylan
Tarantula
Maurice Girodias
Olympia Press
Brion Gysin
The Cut-up Technique
Ken Kesey
One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest
• The Merry Pranksters
Tuli Kupferberg
1001 Ways to Beat the Draft
• The Fugs
Frank O’Hara
Peter Orlovsky
Ed Sanders
Tales of Beatnik Glory
Fuck You: A Magazine of the Arts
• The Fugs
Alexander Trocchi
Alan Watts


Please /msg or e-mail me if there is anyone or any work that I omitted. I have included only works that have already been noded, but I added all the names I could think of, regardless of whether of not bios of them have been noded. The "fellow travellers" are people who are associated with the Beat generation or were heavily influenced by it, but did not belong to one of the two major literary groups in the movement. As far as who to include and who to exclude from that list (which could stretch on for pages with a flexible definition of "association") I generally deferred to Ann ChartersThe Portable Beat Reader , though I did not include every person cited in that book.
In this essay, I discuss reasons why critics were hostile toward the Beats.

The Beat Generation: Fact or Myth?

In the fifties, a cultural phenomenon swept the nation. Millions of youths began to call themselves "Beats," write poetry, and use drugs. They complained about conservative America and the dangers of conformity, and media regarded them as lazy drug addicts. Years later, when Jack Kerouac, William Burroughs, and Allen Ginsberg published their works, critics and the media treated them as spawns of this counterculture. Critics and the nation looked down upon the Beat writers for their extravagant lifestyles, but few in their time recognized the great literature they were making and the impact they would have on American literature.

Years before the publication of Jack Kerouac's On the Road, the media was showering the nation with stories of the Beat Generation. When Kerouac emerged, he became the quintessential "beatnik," a word created by journalist Herb Caen as a play on the satellite Sputnik; Caen and others insisted that the Beat types were "equally far out" (qtd. in Watson 4). The media found their spokesperson and whipping boy in Kerouac and friends. Portrayed as mythic figures, Kerouac and other beats became the focus of newspapers and film. They pinned these writers with the beatnik archetype of goateed, bereted, bongo playing, marijuana smoking poets. Any females associated with Kerouac were portrayed as pale, leotard sporting whores (Watson 259).

Kerouac found the fame stifling, as he struggled to avoid the throngs of women who wanted him and the scores of men who despised him (Watson 254). According to Beat historian Steven Watson, Kerouac "dreamed of police chasing him through Lowell and endless ranks of children chanting his name" (254). He began drinking, partying, and womanizing more than ever to avoid the media (Watson 255). To journalists, Kerouac embodied the Beats, and they were hungry for his answers. Newspapers ran ads offering beatniks for rent, Mad magazine satirized them, critics bashed their writings, and thousands more jumped on the Beat bandwagon (Watson 258). Mistaking them for stereotypical beatniks, few knew the origins and motives of these writers.

The original Beat Generation consisted only of Jack Kerouac, William S. Burroughs, and Allen Ginsberg. The three tirelessly devoted months on end to developing a truly original voice. They lived voluptuous lifestyles as well, drinking and womanizing. Each of the three felt horribly alienated from society and attempted to relieve this feeling through drugs. Kerouac was haunted by his brother's death at age seven (George-Warren 110) and guilt-ridden due to his mother's saying, "You should have died, not Gerard" (qtd. in Watson 21). Allen Ginsberg repressed feelings of homosexuality and fought schizophrenia throughout his life (Watson 26). Burroughs was teased for his homosexuality as a child and battled heroin addiction until his death (Naked Lunch xxxv). The three semi-neurotics were only concerned with putting thoughts on paper and controlling their negative feelings. Many critics focused on the extreme lifestyles they lived and never knew that they were troubled men. The Beats attempted to assuage their negative feelings through writing, and they simultaneously created great works of literature. However, their lives overshadowed their novels and poems.

Kerouac and Burroughs were equally prolific, and they used similar techniques, usually referred to as "spontaneous prose." Most critics paid little attention to the literary endeavors of the two, exchanging these for their sensational lifestyles. When critics did review their works, they saw them as superficial, rambling "guides for the superficially alienated" (qtd. in Foster xi). Once again, critics saw them as clones of the beatniks. Highbrow journals such as The Nation became forums for anti-beat critics (Watson 259). One critic, Norman Podhoretz, wrote, "Kerouac's motto is kill the intellectuals who can talk coherently, kill the people who can't sit still, kill those…who are capable of getting seriously involved with a woman, a job, a cause" (qtd. in Watson 259). The critics didn't realize that most of Kerouac's writing was fictional, and they mistook him for his characters, which were based on exaggerations of Kerouac's companions. Kerouac, Burroughs, and Ginsberg simply attempted to record their thoughts as they occured, and their characters mimic this in their fast, raw actions. Some lesser-known critics of the time valued spontaneous prose. As critic James T. Jones asserts, Kerouac's rapidity "parodied the consumer-goods overproduction of the '50's" (qtd. in Sterritt 195). Thus he may be seen as a socially motivated writer rather than a selfish drug addict.

Aside from the speed characteristic of Beat writings, Burroughs was very different from Kerouac and Ginsberg. The beatnik stereotype didn't fit Burroughs, for, despite his pernicious habits, he was a socially conscious, incredibly intelligent individual. Burroughs didn't receive the publicity that Kerouac did, for he was in Tangiers writing Naked Lunch (Watson 255). While Kerouac merely hinted at the state of society in the fifties, Burroughs blatantly attacked all that he saw as false. He criticized the selfishness of political leaders and prophesized the grim future resulting from industry. Burroughs saw a world void of individuality, a world where people cloned themselves and cannibalized and raped one another (Naked Lunch). After the novel's publication, it was banned in America due to its heavily sexual content. While only a few critics immediately recognized Kerouac's genius, many writers and critics defended the literary merit of Naked Lunch (Watson 281). However, while some critics recognized the unprecedented form of Burroughs' writing, most regarded it as "the foulest collection of printed filth" (qtd. in Watson 281). Due to this, every mainstream newspaper in America denounced the novel, and the Beats once again failed to receive the praise they deserved. When Burroughs accidentally shot and killed wife Joan Vollmer, critics and media were quick to regard him as a psychopath (Watson 153). Burroughs was guilt-ridden his entire life, and he found solace in drugs and writing. The media saw Vollmer's death as another reason to disregard the literary endeavors of the Beats. Despite the dozens of novels Burroughs wrote after Vollmer's death, few critics in his time would ever again praise him for his writing style.

While Kerouac and Burroughs preferred prose, Ginsberg wrote poetry. He read his epic Howl in a San Francisco bar, and the legions of Beat followers soon followed suit. Critics soon became unable to identify Ginsberg's unprecedented style amidst the many imposters. They concluded that the Beats were a part of the San Francisco Renaissance, further obscuring the truth about the Beats (Foster 2). Beat-bashing critics used this as another reason for insulting the Beats, insisting that they weren't "a true alternative to the status quo…but another cleverly disguised reflection of it" (Sterritt 103). However, poet William Carlos Williams realized that Howl was unique in its style and simplicity. Attracted to the sympathy expressed in Ginsberg's writing, Williams became a mentor for the Beats, encouraging them to continue their zestful writing (Watson 127).

The Beat writers were not, of course, akin to the beatnik models associated with them. Neither of the three wore berets or goatees. They were artists, not superficial poseurs like the media believed. The media misconceived who the real Beats were, because, at the time of the publication of the principal Beat works, the Beat phenomena had already exploded on America. Before Kerouac or Burroughs published their novels, their lifestyle was already popularized by journals such as Jay Landesman's Neurotica (Foster 12). Friends of Kerouac, Burroughs, and Ginsberg, such as John Clellon Holmes, wrote numerous articles on Beat life. Thousands of disillusioned individuals formed a Beat Generation dissimilar to the one started by the founders. These second-generation Beats did often fit the stereotype and often lived shallow, commercial lives. These pseudo-Beats seemed to condemn society for no apparent reason other than to be "hip," and critics assumed that Kerouac and Burroughs were mere spawns of these coffeehouse denizens. According to publisher Edward Foster, the Beat writers were individuals, and the rest of the Beat phenomena was "nothing but a journalist's or critic's fantasy" (4).

The Beat writers were the avant-garde creators of the ideals that became severely muddled by their generation. The three talked of a "New Vision," an overhaul of modern ideals (Foster 5). Rather than live comforting lives and conforming to society's norms, the Beats sought to capture the spirit of America by living with junkies, thieves, and outcasts (Foster 5). These people lived insecure, fast lives, and Kerouac and Burroughs modeled not only their characters, but also their form after them. They felt that the individual had no place in America in the fifties, and their sympathy for humanity is reflected in their works. The beats, especially Kerouac, felt that America no longer valued "wild self-believing individuality" (Foster 7). According to Foster, they longed for "frontier America," where the working-class man wasn't "impersonal and unemotional" (8). They wanted America to share their longing for the heroism of which America was bankrupt.

The Beats wanted to express themselves in a constructive manner. All three felt stifled by intellectualism. According to Holmes, society eagerly blamed their problems on childhood or society, with Freud's and Marx's theories, respectively (Foster 18). The Beats felt that these were no longer acceptable ways of confronting society's problems. They were optimistic and attempted to breathe life into an America they perceived as crumbling. Critics, however, weren't ready for this optimism. Most preferred "objective," rather than "expressive" prose, and conservative critics shunned the underground portrayed by the Beats (Foster 18).

With the help of many writers who supported the Beats, they overcame criticism and became part of the canon of American literature. Despite the resistance from authority figures, the ban on Naked Lunch was repealed in 1966 (Naked Lunch ix). Norman Mailer and Henry Miller insisted that Burroughs was one of their biggest influences (Watson 283). Kerouac's On the Road became a cult classic, and universities began to teach courses in Beat literature. The response to such courses, according to Beat literature professor John Tytell, has been outstanding, as students quickly enroll (Lawlor 2).

Even in the time of the Beats' lives, some liberal professors taught Beat literature. These men saw the merit of their writings, and soon the literary establishment couldn't afford to ignore the Beats due to the professors and writers in favor of them. Burroughs and Ginsberg became members of the American Academy of Arts and Letters (Lawlor 2). The three Beat writers achieved several prestigious awards, including the Pulitzer Prize and the National Book Award (Lawlor 2). Thus the Beats can be credited with shifting American prose from "objective" to "subjective."

Beat writings have survived obstacles created by critics and have gained worldwide popularity. Although critics sought to smother Beat writings with scandalous stories of excessive behavior, the three Beat writers are enjoyed today all over the world. The fact that Kerouac, Burroughs, and Ginsberg are still being read in Japan and Europe testifies to the profound impact they have had on countless individuals (Lawlor 2). In addition to this personal significance, Beat works have impacted American society. The Naked Lunch and Howl trials have helped fight censorship and have helped create current standards for publication (Lawlor 3). One cannot deny the similarities between the Beats and counterculture phenomena of the sixties and seventies. The ideals of the "hippies" stem mainly from the Beats. The social transformations these groups caused, including denouncing racism and promoting human rights, are often considered Beat in origin (Lawlor 3).

Jack Kerouac, William Burroughs, and Allen Ginsberg are now considered some of the best writers of the twentieth century. Now that Beat works are read before stories of the authors' lives, readers and critics can form an unbiased opinion of their quality. Readers who refuse to allow the writers' vices to impact personal opinion will testify that the hopeful, joyous messages conveyed in the writings are timeless. It is this timelessness that ensures the Beats will touch each generation and inspire people to enjoy life, have fun, and transcend the "beatness" of day-to-day life.

Sources:

Burroughs, William. Naked Lunch. New York: Grove, 1992.

Foster, Edward Halsey. Understanding the Beats. Columbia: S. Carolina, 1992.

George-Warren, Holly, ed. The Rolling Stone Book of the Beats. New York: Hyperion, 1999.

Lawlor, William. The Beat Generation. The Magill Bib. Series. Lanham: Scarecrow, 1998.

Sterritt, David. Mad to be Saved: the Beats, the 50’s, and Film. Carbondale: S. Illinois, 1998.

Watson, Steven. The Birth of the Beat Generation: Visionaries, Rebels, and Hipsters, 1944-1960. New York: Pantheon, 1995.

I highly reccommend all of these books if you are interested in the Beat Generation.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.