Democratic Senator from California

Born Barbara Levy in Brooklyn, New York on November 11, 1940. She married Stewart Boxer in 1962. They have two children and one grandson. They live in Marin County. She graduated from Wingate High School and Brooklyn College, where she received a bachelors degree in economics.

Before becoming a senator, she was a member of the House of Representatives representing the Sixth Congressional District for ten years, and a Marin County Supervisor. Before entering public service, Senator Boxer raised a family and worked as a congressional aide, a journalist and a stockbroker.

Barbara Boxer became a United States Senator in January 1993 and was reelected in 1998. Along with Diane Feinstein she made history by becoming one of California's first two women Senators and the first two women to ever represent any state at the same time in the Senate.

In the senate she works to protect families, children, consumers, the environment and her State of California. She helped author the Violence Against Women Act while serving in the house. She is a leading advocate of a woman's right to choose, authoring the Family Planning and Choice Protection Act and helped push through the Freedom of Access to Clinic Entrances Act. Currently she is working to overturn Bush’s international gag rule and other anti-choice efforts. She has received numerous awards from human right’s and women’s group.

As part of the Senate Democratic Leadership, Boxer serves as Chief Deputy for Strategic Outreach, Western Regional Democratic Whip and is a member of the Senate's Hispanic Caucus.

Committees:

Her website and contact info is:

112 Hart Senate Office Building
Washington DC 20510
(202) 224-3553
http://boxer.senate.gov/contact/webform.html
http://www.senate.gov/~boxer

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.