Ingredients Directions

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9" x 5" x 3" loaf pan. In a large mixing bowl, cream shortening, sugar, eggs and bananas. Add dry ingredients and mix well. Pour into the prepared pan and bake for 1 hour. Cool on a rack for 10 minutes before removing from pan. Serve cold or lightly toasted and buttered.

My personal and professional experience with making banana bread and muffins indicates that your banana bread will be about 100,000 times better if you include the following procedural steps.

Sift your dry ingredients together to break up nasty-tasting rocks of baking soda that will not dissolve during mixing or baking.

Mix your mashed-up bananas into the dry ingredients; coating the bits of banana with flour prevents their sticking together in a mushy mass that won't mix well with anything, tends to settle to the bottom of the pan, and causes uneven baking.

To improve the texture, add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix by hand only until just combined (no loose flour). Just because.

It also seems, to me, that this recipe lacks an adequate acid component for the acid/base reaction with the baking soda--try a cup of buttermilk.


During the creation of this write-up, I recieved the following message:

"Nothing Found

Sorry, but nothing matching "nasty-tasting" was found.

Of course, I could let you create a new 'nasty-tasting' node..."

You have no idea how difficult it was to refrain from creating a "'nasty-tasting' node".

Banana bread makes a delightful fall dish, and can be served as a loaf, as cut-up slices, or even as muffins. It is a very versatile favorite that most enjoy, and though additions like nuts or raisins are appropriate, it is this noder's opinion that this recipe is best as is.

Ingredients:

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350ºF. Grease 2 loaf pans. In large bowl, cream the sugar and butter. Add in the eggs. Add bananas, milk, lemon juice, and vanilla, beat until smooth. In small bowl, mix flour, baking soda, and salt. Keep adding flour mix to banana mix. Pour into pans. Bake for 1 hour. Cool for 5 minutes.

Yield: 2 loaves
Source: Paraphrased from Wood & Seefeldt, The Wicca Cookbook
Use for: Mabon

Pagan recipes

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.