About the Seven Valleys and copyright , Last Valley

This is the final part in Baha'u'llahs epic spiritual work The Seven Valleys. The epic was written in responce to a letter requesting advice on certain matters. Here Baha'u'llah considers the symbolisim of 'sparrow. This is considered to be a sacred text in the Baha'i Faith

The thoughts thou hast expressed as to the interpretation of the common species of bird that is called in Persian Gunjishk (sparrow) were considered. 1 Thou appearest to be well-grounded in mystic truth. However, on every plane, to every letter a meaning is allotted which relateth to that plane. Indeed, the wayfarer findeth a secret in every name, a mystery in every letter. In one sense, these letters refer to holiness.
1 The five letters comprising this word in Persian are: G, N, J, SH, K, that is, Gaf, Nun, Jim, Shin, Kaf.

Kaf or Gaf (K or G) referreth to Kuffi ("free"), that is, "Free thyself from that which thy passion desireth; then advance unto thy Lord."

Nun referreth to Nazzih ("purify"), that is, "Purify thyself from all else save Him, that thou mayest surrender thy life in His love."

Jim is Janib ("draw back"), that is, "Draw back from the threshold of the True One if thou still possessest earthly attributes."

Shin is Ushkur ("thank") -- "Thank thy Lord on His earth that He may bless thee in His heaven; albeit in the world of oneness, this heaven is the same as His earth."

Kaf referreth to Kuffi, that is: "Take off from thyself the wrappings of limitations, that thou mayest come to know what thou hast not known of the states of Sanctity." 1
1 This and the foregoing quotations are from the teachings of Islam.

Wert thou to harken to the melodies of this mortal Bird, 1 then wouldst thou seek out the undying chalice and pass by every perishable cup.
1 This is a reference in the traditional Persian style to Baha'u'llah Himself.

Peace be upon those who walk in the Right Path!

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.