Bachelor of Fine Arts (BFA) is the name given to a type of collegiate Bachelor's degree where the core of the program is focused on the visual, fine, or performing arts. Some institutions refer to this type of degree as a Bachelor of Visual Arts (BVA). In the UK, such degrees may be known as BA Fine Arts, and throughout Australia and Europe as Bachelor of Dance or Bachelor of Drama. Some countries call this type of degree a Bachelor of Creative Arts (BCA) or Bachelor of Performing Arts (BPA).

In the US, the National Association of Schools of Art and Design (NASAD) accredits BFA programs, and describes the degree as focusing on "intensive work in the visual arts supported by a program of general studies". This is differentiated from a liberal arts or Bachelor of Arts (BA) degree, which focuses on "art and design in the context of a broad program of general studies". This degree will often require the candidate to select a specialization in one particular type of art, but some schools provide an overview of many different disciplines in their programs.

Typical BFA programs consist of one-third general studies and two-thirds art studies, with the ratio commonly being reversed for a BA in Art. Another significant difference between the two degrees is that BFA programs consist of a major studio component where BA programs are composed primarily of classes featuring discussion and lecture. Generally regarded as a four-year degree, the duration can vary depending upon the amount of studio work required. A postgraduate equivalent of this program would result in a Master of Fine Arts (MFA) degree, with the same variability in naming based upon the location of the program.

284

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.