Abbreviation for bipolar with eight-zero substitution T-carrier line code used on clear-channel T1 data lines along with the Extended Super Frame framing method (most common occurance). This line code allows for 64Kbps per channel. In B8ZS, bipolar violations are inserted if user data contains a string of 8 or more consecutive zeros to maintain synchronization when the binary data stream doesn't have enough 1's (at least 12.5%) and doesn't meet the requirements of no more than 15 consecutive zeros for framed signals and no more than 14 consecutive zeros for unframed signals. B8ZS is an alternate of AMI line code. Each end of a B8ZS coded circuit require B8ZS compatible CSU's.

Most often, B8ZS is seen in use on point-to-point clear-channel T-1 data communications lines. An example of the equipment that can be used to terminate each end of such a data line is the Adtran TSU LT.

Binary 8-zero substitution. The line coding standard for T1 data transmission which allows full 64kbps per second per channel.

Since sending eight zeros in a row could cause T1 equipment to lose synchronization with the sending equipment, it is important that that pattern is not sent. Using the old standard, the eighth bit is modified, so that only seven bits could be reliably transmitted per channel.

In order to eliminate a string of eight zeros without modifying the data being transported, the equipment replaces the pattern with a pair of bipolar violations or BPVs. This means that the voltage, instead of the correct inversion for each one-bit, allows the voltage to be positive twice in a row and negative twice in a row. This pattern looks like this:

0 0 + - 0 - + 0

-- OR --

0 0 - + 0 + - 0

depending on the polarity of the last 1-bit sent. The first voltage sent in the B8ZS pattern will be a bipolar violation, and will be follwed by another in the pattern, seperated by a zero.

Using B8ZS line coding, 64kbps is available per channel, for a total of 1.536mbps.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.