Ayreon, the music just comes to mind. Ayreon is sort of a band with one member. His name is Arjen Anthony Lucassen. He is heavily into the progressive rock genre with a very spacy melodic sound to his songs, or journeys. He makes rock operas which may be 2 hours in length with an assortement of musicians contributing to the project.

From the Ayreon website:

He breathes new life into the good-old rock opera, has many famous musicians and singers participate in his musical adventures and sells an impressive number of albums without playing one single gig.

Among those musicians you can find names such as Fish, Clive Nolan and many others.
His latest cd to date, Into The Electric Castle is a two cd length space opera which tells the tale of several individuals who are transported into a dimension by an entity known as:

I am as water, as air, like breath itself.

And to quote from CD 1:
You are eight mortal souls of the flesh, chosen from different eras ancient and modern. The trivia of your mortal lives is unimportant - to me... Indeed, some may die...
You have a task: To release yourselves from this Web of Wisdom, this knotted Maze of Delirium, you must enter the nuclear portals of the Electric Castle!

So this is the journey. The music is somewhat similiar to bands like Arena and Shadowland.Heavy melodic progressive rock with lots and lots of themes and melodies compiled into one big mess, with a dash of "pompous" instrumental parts.

I still need a drink.

Ayreon is Arjen Anthony Lucassen's band. They make atmospheric progressive rock. Each album is filled with guest musicians, and Arjen himself plays numerous instruments on each song. Because of this, Ayreon has never played a live show, and Arjen has no intention of ever doing so.
On his albums, Arjen has received help from famous names, including Fish, Bruce Dickinson, Clive Nolan and many others.

Discography:

1995: The Final Experiment.
1996: Actual Fantasy.
1998: Into The Electric Castle.
2000: Universal Migrator Part 1: The Dream Sequencer.
2000: Universal Migrator Part 2: Flight Of The Migrator.
2000: Ayreonauts Only. A collection of rare tracks.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.