Avail is one of the best bands I've ever heard (hell I took my username from one of their albums). I know kids who are into everything from emo to hardcore to alternative who are into these guys.

Some of their best songs include Simple Song, 92, Sanctuary 13, and Scuffle Town (the sun's still shining over the James!). My favourite albums by them are Dixie, Over the James and 4am Friday. Apparently, some hardcore Avail fans seem to think their new album is too pussy and have stopped liking them. And where did the idea come from that Avail is only for straight edge kids? Xwoo!X

One of the most popular punk rock trends I've seen Avail start is the Dixie guy tattoo.

http://avail-avail.com (I don't know where it went but that was the address of their page)

A*vail" (?), v. t. [imp. & p. p. Availed (); p. pr. & vb. n. Availing.] [OE. availen, fr. F. (L. ad) + valoir to be worth, fr. L. valere to be strong, to be worth. See Valiant.]

1.

To turn to the advantage of; to be of service to; to profit; to benefit; to help; as, artifices will not avail the sinner in the day of judgment.

O, what avails me now that honor high ! Milton.

2.

To promote; to assist.

[Obs.]

Pope.

To avail one's self of, to make use of; take advantage of.

Then shall they seek to avail themselves of names. Milton.

I have availed myself of the very first opportunity. Dickens.

 

© Webster 1913.


A*vail", v. i.

To be of use or advantage; to answer the purpose; to have strength, force, or efficacy sufficient to accomplish the object; as, the plea in bar must avail, that is, be sufficient to defeat the suit; this scheme will not avail; medicines will not avail to check the disease.

"What signs avail ?"

Milton.

Words avail very little with me, young man. Sir W. Scott.

 

© Webster 1913.


A*vail" (?), n.

1.

Profit; advantage toward success; benefit; value; as, labor, without economy, is of little avail.

The avail of a deathbed repentance. Jer. Taylor.

2. pl.

Proceeds; as, the avails of a sale by auction.

The avails of their own industry. Stoddard.

Syn. -- Use; benefit; utility; profit; service.

 

© Webster 1913.


A*vail", v. t. & i.

See Avale, v.

[Obs.]

Spenser.

 

© Webster 1913.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.