Austin Powers: International Man of Mystery is a 1997 comedy starring Mike Myers as a British secret agent who is transported to the present from the swinging 1960s and has to cope with a world in which free love has gone out of style. Many of the gags spoof the James Bond Formula and thus the film gets proportionately funnier the more Bond films you have seen. Although Austin is the main character his archnemesis Dr. Evil (also played by Myers) is truly hilarious and steals the movie. The film spawned two sequels: Austin Powers 2: The Spy Who Shagged Me (1999), and Austin Powers in Goldmember (2002).

Austin Powers is a movie that grows on people. The first time I watched it the jokes seemed to fall flat and seemed as if they were written by junior high kids, but strangely these gags become more humorous with repeated viewings (I know a lot of people who have had this experience). I probably also helped that I have seen several more James Bond films since I first watched Austin Powers. The sequels, however, show that this immature sex-themed humor can only go so far - they dip even deeper into the 8th grade joke pool for their new gags and rehash most of the same gags from the first film, which get old fast.

Credits:

Director: Jay Roach
Screenplay: Mike Myers

Cast:

Mike Myers - Austin Danger Powers, Dr. Evil
Elizabeth Hurley - Vanessa Kensington
Michael York - Basil Exposition
Robert Wagner - No. 2
Mindy Sterling - Frau Farbissina
Seth Green - Scott Evil
Mimi Rogers - Mrs. Kensington
Fabiana Udenio - Alotta Fagina
Will Ferrell - Mustafa
Paul Dillon - Patty O'Brien
Charles Napier - Commander Gilmour
Cindy Margolis - Fembot

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.