Auron is a character in the Playstation 2 game, Final Fantasy X. His English voice acting is damn near perfectly done by Matt McKenzie. His Japanese voice actor is Hideo Ishikawa.

Physically, he's quite a menacing character. In the tradition of many Final Fantasy characters, his choice of weapon is a sword, which he carries strapped on his back. His grim face is marked by unshaved stubble, black fading to grayish hair, a pair of dark shades, a scarred eye, and a constant, contemplative frown. One particularly noteworthy piece of his getup is the little white saké jug tied to his hip. To an uninformed passerby, it may appear that his right arm was injured by the way he allows it to swing limply above his golden belt that holds his dark red robe together. However, during battles he pulls it out and can use it quite fine, for some unexplainable reason. All in all, Auron looks like a combination of a battle-scarred samurai and blingin' gangster with a red cloak.

Concerning the gameplay, Auron begins with an unusually large amount of strength, but with ridiculously low accuracy. As his character levels up and progresses, strength bonuses and traditional Final Fantasy knight class techniques become available, such as Armor Break which makes enemies more vulnerable to attacks, Magic Break which makes enemies more vulnerable to magic, and Sentinel which guards other characters when they are near death. His special attacks, or Overdrives, are enhanced by pushing certain button combinations in a small amount of given time. He learns new Overdrives by collecting spheres scattered throughout the world.

Auron is a vital character to the game's story. Guiding the two heroes, Tidus and Yuna, in their quest to defeat Sin, the veil of mystery that surrounds him slowly fades over the course of the game. Seemingly cold and distant early in the story, he begins to give fatherly advice to the troubled heroes. Eventually, through a series of pseudo-flash backs induced by fairy-like spirits called pyreflies, his past and motivation to destroy Sin is revealed.

Auron's character is defined by several concepts. He essentially plays the mythological role of the Japanese sword master; think Obi-Wan Kenobi from Star Wars, Morpheus from The Matrix, or Gandalf from Lord of the Rings. He follows this popular archetype by doing several things: he appears in the time of a crisis, bestows a physical weapon to the main character, Tidus, and sets him on a quest by giving him a mental/spiritual commitment. Like many other sword master characters, his past is tumultuous.

His closest friend, Braska dies vainly in an attempt to destroy Sin, a gigantic destructive monster. Because Braska is Auron's leader, his death leaves Auron without a focal point to channel his motivation to destroy Sin. After traveling throughout most of the world in search of a way to destroy the monster, Braska sacrifices himself to cast a powerful spell, believing he will be victorious. However, Sin survives by being inexplicably reborn ten years later and continues its terror. Auron takes the death of Braska and rebirth of Sin as a very personal failure. Parallel to Braska's vain attempt and death, Auron vainly tries to avenge his friend and master, but dies. Thus the entire playable game Auron is actually a ghost. In fact, the first part of his name resembles the word aureole, a circle of light surrounding the head or body of a holy person, or a halo.

Because of Braska's death, he becomes a ronin, or a masterless samurai. His actual life is over; he only survives through a strange phenomena exclusive to Final Fantasy X's world of Spira. Figuratively, his ghostly state personifies and expands upon ronin-hood. Ronins have a reputation of avenging their masters as well as committing sepuku, or killing themselves because they have no purpose in life after allowing their master to die. Auron symbolizes a 'what if' possibility: What if a ronin got a second chance to avenge his master?

While all these ghostly and epic mythological themes define Auron's character, he still comes off as a very real character with real problems. He's arguably one of the most fleshed out and well constructed characters in Square's illustrious history.

Log in or register to write something here or to contact authors.